Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have any experience with Camelback Toyota?

Did someone say Camel Toe-yota?

Merry Christmas!!!

(thread mucking in full effect---too bad it ain't Ken's or Mike's thread)

It is Mike's thread!

and, Nice....
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

:Golfclap: Well done Bob.

Ordered up the lower joints and shields from toyotapartzone.

I got the joints for my year and the shields that Sean linked. Once I get them in my hands and things apart I'll see how or if they will fit. I think if anything I could cut them and just bolt on the front section. They seem easy enough to trim or shape if need be.

$205 delivered.

Finally time to update this post. I've replaced both lower ball joints, added the guards and installed some new tie rod ends.

My first order was made with ToyotaPartsZone and it was for lower joints and the guard. I say guard, singular, because I only ordered one for some reason. Anyways, my driver side joint was the one that was bothering me. It seemed to be puking grease and after 150k, some rough trails and some jumping I figured it was time for a refresh.

In the end I did another order but with Camelback for another TRE and guard.

Since I had what I needed (lower joint and guard) I went to work one morning on the side I was concerned about. I only had the morning to do this so I started around 6am. By 6:30 I was running into problems. I couldn't get the tie rod end off of the joint. I had two pullers, heat and cusing. I had been spraying everything down with penetrate for days prior and it wouldn't budge. After boogering up the boot for the TRE I got on the phone. My dealer could get me one by 10am so I ordered it and went inside to patiently wait and eat breakfast. I cleaned up everything on that side and removed the TRE with the joint still attached.

Both joints were solid and buttery smooth. Both boots didn't look brand new but I had put them through their paces so I figured this was just preventative. I did notice once I had everything removed that the LBJ boots were different on the new ones. The new ones are much thicker, create a much better seal and don't have a sharp edge that will crack or wear like my old ones.

Much different profile.

Anyways, I got the TRE. Installed it to the LBJ on the bench and then installed the combo on the 4Runner. It was all pretty easy. The guard slips over the joint/boot before installation. Getting the bolts tightened down before the the guard starts to slip is a challenge. They are tweaked just a bit and I may go in the loosen stuff up and realign.

The guard covers the entire boot which is good unless I need to make a visual it's not all falling apart. I like the fact the boot isn't getting force fed water, sand or dust.

Last edited by 4x4mike; 05-06-2015 at 09:29 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12