Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing the cat

Replacing the cat

Got a small issue here, the gasket between the front of the cat and the headers is done for. Its leaking a bit. Looking at the connection the flange bolts dont exist anymore,t hey are so rusted they barely resemble bolts/nuts.

Im pretty positive I could tackle replacing the entire cat, lord knows 252k it needs it. I was thinking i could find a universal type and enlarge the ends of it if need be and slip it over my existing stuff then put some clamps over it. Looking at magnaflow I see universal weld on type replacements, but they are all to short it seems. Longest one I found was just shy of 18" and thats cutting it close if I cut off the flange on the one end and clamp it all together. I have a good bit of room between the O2 sensors as well.

Anyone done this before? Or perhaps I should pay my friend who works at midas a visit and comeup with some sorta replacement. I just need this hunk of junk to last me till this summer, but its leaking pretty bad right now.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

You may have to add a short piece after the new cat to meet up with the existing exhaust.

If it's leaking and you just need it to last 6 months, you could just weld up the flanges. A hack, but probably better than adding a cheapo cat and clamps.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Well plan is 6 months, but ya never know with the way things tend to go for me. If I didnt have bad luck Id have none at all. Cheap cat is worth it in the long run, I aint paying for a toyota one thats for sure and im sure this ones done for.

Think Ill call my exhaust buddy after the new year and see what he thinks.
    Last edited by CJM; 12-25-2013 at 04:02 PM.

I need some advice: I basically need the entire cat and cat back exhaust. Muffler is done, cat Im sure is done and tailpipe I hung with a coat hanger since the hanger and that part of the pipe finally rotted off. Im not gonna pay alot to fix this, really dont want to deal with it anymore than I have to.

Called my friend, he is no longer the manager at midas and basically cant help me. That sucks.

So I looked online, rock auto lists a bosal cat with the header pipe back thats direct connect to my header and has the pipe after it for the oxy sensor. Looking up bosal they are basically an OEM replacement and in some cases make exhausts for OEM themselves.I also found a bosal exhaust from cat back OEM replacement on rock auto as well.

Cat is $202, exhaust is $102 from rock auto. OR Looking online I can buy a gibson setup for about 300 for just the cat back. I honestly dont care about exhaust sound, but perhaps a small increase in power would be nice? How does a 3.4L sound with a catback, not to ricey? Almost all of the clips I found for various setups sound deeper but slightly ricey to me-but didnt see them in person so its hard to tell.

One last thing: The joint at the cat is basically rusted to hell. Its not thru but the bolts will have to cut and or drilled out a good bit. You think cutting them off and just slapping it all together with new bolts should work?

I prefer factory exhaust tone on a 3.4l. Anything else just sounds bad to me.

I've read there is a Walker brand muffler on Amazon that a lot of guys run and can be had for cheap. I'm not sure how tight your Smog rules are but you might be able to get away with a universal Magnaflow cat and be good for awhile. I know several folks who have gotten one and they seem to be good especially for the price (these went on non Toyota vehicles).

Another option might be to find someone parting out a vehicle. I assume the exhaust flanges are the same but as long as you can get it to bolt in where it needs to be you can weld up the rest. Might be the cheapest option.

I very much doubt that I will find someone parting out a T100, in good shape no less. All the local yards dont have them either, plenty of pick ups and runners, but nothing for me lol.

I read online bosal is slightly better than walker or about the same quality by most people reviewing the parts. I think in the end what I will do is buy all OEM type stuff from rock auto and work on the flange. Im gonna go monday to my friends shop and see what he thinks as well.

I suppose I could do it all myself but a heated garage would help alot lol.

Is the cat that much different between a T100, 4Runner and pick up? I was thinking that if you could find a cat in general, bolt it in and build off of it.

It's possible. my cat comes off the pipe is tilted sideways. Are the four runners and pick up trucks like that

Even so for the price of 200 bucks it's not that bad really midas is going to be over 1000

Called a few yards today, they didnt have anything I could use. Perhaps a 4runner/tacoma cat mighta worked but IDK. One place said they could get it form another yard for 100 bucks.

Went to my buddys shop, yep he will do it. Called up parts supply, same bosal cat/exhaust they want 480. I just paid 350 from rock auto shipped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast