Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VIAIR OBA kit install, 98 4Runner

Yep. On the picture I posted above the clamp is wrapped around the female to female bushing that connects the coupler to the hose. I liked it because it wasn't clamping on the crimped end nor the coupler itself.

I will update the above later.

I am almost finished, probably another half day. Wiring is done except for one ground wire (needed a screw) and a fuse (have, just not installed). Plumbing is complete except for the outlet, which will go on first thing tomorrow. I found I needed another right angle from the tank.

Getting nickle and dime'd on the fittings and such.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I agree with Mike about having problems with rubber hoses under the truck. I ran a rubber hose for a couple years, and this summer outside of Bodie ghost town I went to air up the truck and heard a huge air leak when I turned the compressor on. It turns out the rubber hose degraded to the point where the inner lining split and I had a huge hole. To be fair the hose lasted about 3-4 years, but it is now all failing. I swapped over to bright orange poly hose from home depot.

I like Mike's idea of using hose clamps to support the fittings. I ended up using some Delrin plates which was probably overkill. Now my problem is that my MV50 compressor is getting weak and I have leaks from my cheapo Harbor Freight air fittings. I will probably re-build the MV50 and upgrade the fittings, or I might pick Mike's brain and hook up the York compressor I have sitting around.

More pictures at: http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/t4r_oba

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Matt, re the York, I have the bracket mike gave me, and won't be using it. It's yours for shipping or when we finally run into eachother. Pismo maybe?

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by slomatt View Post
    I agree with Mike about having problems with rubber hoses under the truck. I ran a rubber hose for a couple years, and this summer outside of Bodie ghost town I went to air up the truck and heard a huge air leak when I turned the compressor on. It turns out the rubber hose degraded to the point where the inner lining split and I had a huge hole. To be fair the hose lasted about 3-4 years, but it is now all failing. I swapped over to bright orange poly hose from home depot.

I like Mike's idea of using hose clamps to support the fittings. I ended up using some Delrin plates which was probably overkill. Now my problem is that my MV50 compressor is getting weak and I have leaks from my cheapo Harbor Freight air fittings. I will probably re-build the MV50 and upgrade the fittings, or I might pick Mike's brain and hook up the York compressor I have sitting around.

- Matt
    My OBA is something I check before each trip and this years Pismo was no exception. After a couple days in the dunes I had a leak. In my little OBA bag I carry a couple of the double ended barb repair brass pieces with some hose clamps but the hole, just like Matt described, was at a bend where the barbed piece wouldn't really work. Hence the desire for a valve to isolate front and back (ie, bypass a large length of hose).

Matt, now that you don't live in hills that like to catch on fire you need a molten metal maker. The project would be a simple one for you and you'd enjoy it.

I think next year at Pismo everyone should have OBA, we can build some of these and have wars in the dunes.
    Video
    http://youtu.be/r_8wRpgvhyg

Oh man... I can only see that ending badly!

Last update over on the first page.

Happy it's "done". I am leaving my interior disassembled so I can finish up some wiring through the roof, hopefully I can get that done by the weekend. I need a weatherpac crimper from a friend.

In reading the first page update I wonder if air is leaking out of the compressor. On home compressors this is usually handled by an unloader. On home brew systems you need a one way valve.

On the picture of my pressure switch you can see my one way valve, it's got the arrow on it. There is a spring loaded plastic disc in there so it has to be downstream from high heat like the compressor.

I'd spray all your hoses and fittings with soapy water and check for bubbles. Even spray the coupler where the hose plugs in. Also email Viair and ask about a one way valve.

looks good
    i sell cars to soon to ever work on them

Compressor braided hose has a one way valve at the end where it connects to my yellow hose. That joint is the only one I can't see or test with soapy water. I'll see if it bleads down over night. Even the previous leak was 140 to 135 psi over 13 minutes. This is much slower, like 5psi over 30 or more minutes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast