Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Annual UY Mojave Road Expedition - March 14-16, 2014

If you're using ~16 gallons in the truck + ~8 gallons of extra, you're burning ~24 gallons in 200 miles? That's only 8 mpg. Just curious...

That's my truck. Overweight, geared too high.

The first year I did it, we did the trip (about 140 miles offroad) and I drove all the way home (~120 miles) on the 18.5+10 gallons.

I honestly don't think you should have a problem, especially if you are frugal with your fuel. Turning the vehicle off every time we get out, etc. If you do need fuel, the previously mentioned option is there. We will plan accordingly with our use of jerry cans, not using them until we need them in case someone else needs them. I wouldn't sweat it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    That's my truck. Overweight, geared too high.

The first year I did it, we did the trip (about 140 miles offroad) and I drove all the way home (~120 miles) on the 18.5+10 gallons.

I honestly don't think you should have a problem, especially if you are frugal with your fuel. Turning the vehicle off every time we get out, etc. If you do need fuel, the previously mentioned option is there. We will plan accordingly with our use of jerry cans, not using them until we need them in case someone else needs them. I wouldn't sweat it.
    Eww, I don't like being frugal on fuel when out having fun in the desert. I will have to figure something out, or possibly do the fuel side-trip, if necessary. I no longer have a roof rack for carrying fuel.

When I did mojave last year, I brought 8 gallons extra. I used the fuel since I had it, but iirc, when we pulled into Baker for gas, I still had at least 1/2 tank of fuel left, maybe more.

I could have done the trip with 4 gallons extra, but that would have meant pulling into Baker with the low fuel light on. I don't like cutting things that close.

Wish I could make this run. That's an awesome trip.
    Last edited by DHC6twinotter; 01-25-2014 at 07:38 AM.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I thought about it some more today.

This is how I feel: Personally, I would not chance it. It is also not that big of a deal for me to throw 10 gallons on the back. With the option of bugging out to get fuel in Baker, the risk isn't as big, just a bit inconvenient. You can also borrow 5 gallons from me if you need it before heading to Baker, just fill the can up and bring it back. It is a gamble, but I don't think it is horribly risky. If you do run out of gas, we will all make fun of you. We will make a dunce hat, and you will wear it.

The metal Blitz cans I have (no longer available since they went belly up) do not leak, and I would not hesitate storing them inside.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks Sean, I will start shopping for some sealed fuel containers.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    What do you know about the rotopax? It looks like you can buy them in the U.S.
    http://rotopax.com/3-Gallon-Packs/

I think they are very nice. I have no experience with them, but I know they can be expensive. 85 for 3 gallons is a bit much for my blood.

Also not sure just how well they seal. My problem with storing plastic cans inside is they always seem to vent, no matter how tight you get the cap.

I decided against having it inside. This is what I need to do:

I like the variety of mounting options with the rotopax style fuel cans.
    Last edited by paddlenbike; 01-26-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast