Thread: Floor jack recommendations

Floor jack recommendations

Hey guys,

I think my Sear's 3 ton floor jack is leaking a slow death. I find that I have to tightening that little bolt like nobody's business to keep hydraulic pressure. I looked at some write ups on repairing and it looks like its not worth the effort. Gonna try to see if I can just buy the hydraulic part, but in the meantime I'm looking up some ones to purchase too.

Anyone have one that is a good bang for the buck? Im not looking for an aluminum, light weight makes no difference to me. Lift height of course is key as is price. I'd like to keep it under $100 and no more than $150 (with tax). Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

There are a few HF ones that apparently make the cut. I have one of the blue Michelin ones that were popular about 10 years ago.

Google search HF good tool list along with floor jack. I know Pirate and Garage Journal have long threads on the tools that are worth the money. I recently read that a lot of items that have historically been orange are now going to be a silver color. Along with the color change is a change in design. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not for certain items. The orange versions are apparently going for pretty cheap.

We have a Craftsman floor jack that pissed itself one day and never functioned again. I have a brand new seal kit for it, just haven't had the motivation to take a hydraulic fluid bath. It's been a long time since it failed.

5 or so years ago my parents got me a harbor freight jack for x-mas. It was their super long reach model, and no longer produced. It has started to leak as well, but only a little bit with each use. It actually came with an extra seal for the ram.

It seems like "bull dog" or something similar was a good brand of jack, the one they use at America's and Discount tire. I figure if they are good enough to be operated several times a day, every day, they are probably good enough to be in my garage.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    There are a few HF ones that apparently make the cut. I have one of the blue Michelin ones that were popular about 10 years ago.

Google search HF good tool list along with floor jack. I know Pirate and Garage Journal have long threads on the tools that are worth the money. I recently read that a lot of items that have historically been orange are now going to be a silver color. Along with the color change is a change in design. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not for certain items. The orange versions are apparently going for pretty cheap.
    Agreed, I have one of the michelin ones and it wont die and its super beefy!

We have the 3 ton HF steel jacks at work and they work ok. But we did need to add fluid to them and bleed off the pressure to make them work nicely.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX