Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So so heat and lower rad hose not hot

Maybe that is just a bit too much to ask from the heating system? Especially one that is nearly 20 years old.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

So so heat and lower rad hose not hot

Quite possible I guess it's about 15° warmer today about 25 outside instead of 9° and the heat works better maybe I was just expecting too much out of it I'm a try blocking off more the radiator maybe
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

What kind of coolant is in the system?
    Is it something pre-mixed or you have to mix yourself?
    I have Toyota red, and I tend to do more of a 60(coolant)/40(water) mix being that its usually cooler around here and I have had no heat issues even with the extreme cold, it still takes a good 20-25 min to warn up but thats just because its so cold.

I remember the last time I had the truck up north in this type of cold the heat wasn't as good and it was more a 50/50 mix (before I did the frame swap)

Walmart brand maybe I think, could be prestone I forget at this point and I recall its premixed. I do know its regular green coolant-nothing special. I think Im going to go ahead and see about the flow just for the heck of it since my friend agree to help me in a heated shop. What I think I will do is buy unmixed and then mix it myself at about 60/40.

Previously I had used this milk looking like coolant we had at the shop I worked for. It came premixed in a drum and IDK what it was but it worked really good.

Ok so more investigation so far leads me to think the t-stat is fine. and the following are observations...

-Its like 10f outside the heat works but isnt nearly as hot as Id think it could be. My chevy work truck with 280k makes better heat at these temps

-Warmer outside, like 20-25F the heat works fine. Blasting and hot.

-Truck still takes 15mins to warm up, probably just due to age.

-Upper rad hose when it was really cold out was not scalding hot liek you would think. I could easily grab it. Lower was ice cold. Havent had a chance to check when its warmer outside.

-Heater core hose going from truck into the valve seemed hot, but not scalding either the other day I checked when it was 10-15f outside. Hose past the valve seems cooler than the hose going in.

Im gonna hafta sit down and play with this for a day. Its really annoying. Temp gauge is near the middle, cardboard blocking about 80% of the rad has no effect. So either that valve is bad (can I nab one from another toyota truck at a yard?), something is clogged or it was just to damn cold.

Update:

The t-stat was bad it seems. We took off the water outlet pipe and it t-stat never closed. Once we replaced it, got better heat but still not great. There was an awful lot of air in the system as well that took us awhile to get out. Checked the hoses and before the heater core hoses werent that warm once they went into and out of the switcher valve, infact the one hose hotter that came from the block to the switcher but it got cold (about a 20-30F difference) once we fixed the t-stat it was much better. I got alot of air out it seems.

Still heat isnt that great. We decided that:
    A). We think because the cat is leaking decently, it is possible the entire truck is running cooler than it should. Said buddy helping me has a dodge with a punched out cat, that sucker will not get up to temp all to well and the truck only has 60k on it. So it is indeed a possibility since my cat is leaking right at the flange and the exhaust is leaking.

B). The heater core is clogged possibly and we will try to blow it out.

Blew out the heater core today, some metal flakes and gunk came out-heat is way better. I ordered the heater control valve from advanced auto b/c the valve is cracked on one side a bit. Gonna replace the valve and then blow out the core a few times again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12