Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MPG woes

I threw half a can of SeaFoam in the tank to clean things up a bit. It's been at least 3 months since I have driven the 4runner anywhere except that 3 mile trip. I will wait for the results. I know I'm going to have to run out to Yucca tomorrow or Saturday for some rusty metal primer so it should burn through.

Also I have found the definitive culprit for my stutters, stalls, and crappy driving when I was talking to battlewagon tonight. He has been having problems too and our base has been known for buying and selling S*it gas. We both filled up the same day and got the same grade. So I'm going to rule out my truck as being faulty for the moment.

In other news my rollbar is ready to paint (well at least mostly). I made the washers for the wheel well and re-welded the feet on with the right amount taken out. Honestly it was a lot easier than I thought it would be and my welding is improved. Instead of looking like a line of spot welds I was able to work the puddle and meld the metal. Still working on a seam but for welding about 5 times total I think I am doing fairly well. I will be adding a tube clamp to the roll bar so it will remain removable in the future.

I am going to do the re-gear before I go to Colorado and it boils down to one thing. Torque. The 5vz has a little to spare where I do not and I will be traveling up and down the mountain grades. The little that 4.30 will give me will be more beneficial than the advantage of a slightly larger tire imo....plus I will have an e-locker to boot. If everything goes well it shouldn't take me more than a day and a half to drop both diffs and perform the modifications.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I will have pics tomorrow but I came up with an idea and I had the parts available so I changed into my part time geek clothes and modded my old Samsung Captivate from 2010 to a tablet. It took all day to flash roms and find roms that still had download links that worked but in the end I finally found what I was looking for and was able to load up my app that pairs with the obdii reader.

Why turn it into a tablet? The phone calling features that are unnecessary when there is no sim card are simply not running saving a TON of battery life. After I had all the installing sorted my new gauge pod dropped 3% in 3 hours with wifi enabled. I imagine that battery life will be similar with BT enabled.

I kinda cheaped out on the mounting but I used velcro and the case that my wife had left over from that phone and stuck the case to the dash right over the 4way and defroster button. I will come up with something better later. I imagine that I can use some thin gauge metal and make a bracket that slides between the dash pad and the dash without too much trouble.

Also MPG related I am looking towards the replacement of my fan clutch. Did a bit of research and while my fan clutch has not gone out....my fan turns on and stays on when I crank the engine. It might be sucking a few miles out of my tank. Fan clutch is about 150 so I'm not looking forward to it but less stress on the engine is a good thing. I will report back later on this.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Here are the pics I promised. It's right where I can see it easily without it being a distraction and it was quick. I suppose I will see whether I like it or not on the trip tomorrow. I have 9 hours to drive and I will be smelling the grass for a couple of weeks lol. Then I come back and move two blocks over and then roll right over into training and the holidays.

Not sure how closely you guys follow the military but my extension has the general's approval so now it's up to Headquarters of the USMC whether I get to stick around for a chance at promotion or not.

Oh yeah the pics!

Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 10-06-2014 at 09:03 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

So far I have logged a days worth of driving and have an average of 19.2 climbing through the grades. I have the top rack and rocketbox with me so I figure I am doing OK. I will forever be in pursuit of excellence though.

stamped and snail mailed
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

The way back from colorado averaged 19.4 for the duration with a 30mph headwind so I would say I am doing fairly well. I am fairly certain a wideband O2 sensor and piggyback afr tuner will help just because I noticed my fast mileage would get better at WOT rather than continuing to decrease. Trouble is there are only 2 available for r he 3rz. One is manufactured by apexi and the other is urd.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Small update* I sprung a small leak and lost about a quart over 2k miles (most of which were on the Colorado trip). Trying to decide whether I actually have a bad seal or whether it's from going to a 5w30 oil. I had been using high mileage oil and then swapped over to the penzoil synthetic to see how it performed. Honestly I believe I saw 0 for actual gains. The oil still looks pretty clean but 500 miles before the next change I will add half a can of the seafoam to keep cleaning the engine. I believe that this will be the last time that I do it.

Next oil change will also include an in depth inspection for oil leaks and items of that nature.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    Small update* I sprung a small leak and lost about a quart over 2k miles (most of which were on the Colorado trip). Trying to decide whether I actually have a bad seal or whether it's from going to a 5w30 oil. I had been using high mileage oil and then swapped over to the penzoil synthetic to see how it performed. Honestly I believe I saw 0 for actual gains. The oil still looks pretty clean but 500 miles before the next change I will add half a can of the seafoam to keep cleaning the engine. I believe that this will be the last time that I do it.

Next oil change will also include an in depth inspection for oil leaks and items of that nature.
    Well shit. Looks like I have to continue this thread. Popped a misfire in cyl 1 last night. I'm not even sure when I'm going to be able to shut her down to do the valves (if that's possible).

I fear it's my valves. It's more than intermittent after engine warm up but clears around 2500 rpm with moderate throttle. There is a leak in the exhaust which I'm sure doesn't help bu t at least I don't have to worry about the exhaust manifold. The header looks like it's in good shape.

Troubleshooting order: (open to other suggestions as well)

Seafoam
    Oil change
    Injector cleaner
    Spark plug/wire check
    Valve clearance (If it gets warmer)
    Compression check
    Pull the head and redo the valves.

Shit. Right in the middle of the semester. Lol because yota.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I don't have much experience with valves but do you think the first half of your list will do anything for them? Any codes?

I would look into replacing the wires first thing. On mine when the wires are bad, any moisture causes a miss fire. Always clears up once the engine warms up.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    I don't have much experience with valves but do you think the first half of your list will do anything for them? Any codes?
    Codes are p0300 and 0301 which are random misfire and then the specific misfire.

The gre at thing about this thread is I was able to look back at previous measurements.

I spoke to LCE today and he recommended that I adjust the valves first. He knew the 3rz well and it's a common problem that people don't adjust them as needed. I've probably gone 45k since I did them last so I imagine that they are out of spec.

If I do need to redo the head it looks like I'm going with one of their valve kits just to do a complete refresh on the head.

I am going to check the wires too but they looked pretty good when I was going over everything from smoking the bambi this summer.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 02-12-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast