Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MPG woes

My wires always looked OK but they would ground out to something. It was extremely frustrating to diagnose.

As for the valve adjustment, seems kinda crazy to me but go for adjusting them. Doesn't take terribly long and is generally otherwise free.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    My wires always looked OK but they would ground out to something. It was extremely frustrating to diagnose.

As for the valve adjustment, seems kinda crazy to me but go for adjusting them. Doesn't take terribly long and is generally otherwise free.
    It's cheaper than a new head that's for sure. If my exhaust valves are too tight or intakes it would keep them from closing and allow lost pressure and a misfire.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Good News??

Well I've loaded the parts cannon. I figure at 277k there are a few things that need replacing which include plugs, wires, coil packs (a known culprit on higher mileage and impossible to diagnose), and I will also be adjusting my valves but the most likely culprit could have been found today as I researched. I didn't even thing about a bad fuel injector. I am going to be testing that tomorrow when it gets warmer. A set of those is 200 but I figure since I haven't done anything except oil changes for the past 3 or 4 years.....the 4runner was feeling like a cheap whore.

I did do Seafoam today and I checked plugs and swapped them just to check the cheapest of the cheap. The idle smoothed out but the #1 plug was messed up. Could be fuel or ignition at this point.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Here are the pics. Tthis is after a seafoam treatment but all the cylinders seem to 've doing ok except 1. If valves needed adjusted drastically I think I would see other cylinders with firing issues.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    Here are the pics. Tthis is after a seafoam treatment but all the cylinders seem to 've doing ok except 1. If valves needed adjusted drastically I think I would see other cylinders with firing issues.

The fuel injectors came back as working correctly so I am hoping that the ignition parts fix the misfire. Its probably time to adjust the valves anyway but I think the misfire will probably go away.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Such a pain to track down. I hope you have a garage to work in!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Such a pain to track down. I hope you have a garage to work in!
    Sadly I haven't had one of those to work in since I left the service.

You should see where my tools are stored. I've got what used to be organized in a two car garage in a 10x10 shed dangerously stacked lol. I'm "hoping" that I can start improving the house perhaps this summer but I think it would have to start with a retaining wall on the house and fixing the driveway so it's not sloping off into city drainage.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Coming late into the game on this.
    I would lean towards the valve adjustment just by looking at the one soot covered plug.
    I haven;t worked on a 2.7l in ages.

It doesn't hurt to do general maintenance also, to help with the carbon build up on the valve and is to do seafoam, or if you can pick up some GM top engine cleaner.
    Have been using the GM stuff recently on a lot of higher mileage 3.6l in the GMS and it seems to be helping out alot.

What is Toyota's recommended interval for valve adjustment?

When I had an injector go out I got a CEL. The injector bench tested okay but I chalked it up to it being cold. The engine would run fine at start up but misfire once it warmed up. I only replaced the one one faulty injector and not all 6.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    Coming late into the game on this.
    I would lean towards the valve adjustment just by looking at the one soot covered plug.
    I haven;t worked on a 2.7l in ages.

It doesn't hurt to do general maintenance also, to help with the carbon build up on the valve and is to do seafoam, or if you can pick up some GM top engine cleaner.
    Have been using the GM stuff recently on a lot of higher mileage 3.6l in the GMS and it seems to be helping out alot.

What is Toyota's recommended interval for valve adjustment?
    If I recall correctly it is 60k and I did my valves at 233k? At 275k I wasn't expecting to adjust or have such a problem. I figured 300k or close to it I would want to get back in and adjust them.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    When I had an injector go out I got a CEL. The injector bench tested okay but I chalked it up to it being cold. The engine would run fine at start up but misfire once it warmed up. I only replaced the one one faulty injector and not all 6.
    I checked mine when it was cold as well. I'm going to do my ignition and valves and see where I stand. If I have a bad injector I'll just get the set from LCE. They're bosch and balanced plus the OME injectors are 200 apiece.

But the basement just flooded so I'm not sure really when I'm going to get back to the truck either. Wish me luck.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast