Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 International (Detroit) Auto Show

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    I saw this this morning. Seems like folks who really want a small diesel and a pick up will be all over this. I have a feeling this will give Toyota and the Tacoma a run for it's money and/or make other manufactures sh!t or get off the pot.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...ntcmp=features
    I think its time toyota brought their d4d engines in. I was stationed on mainland Japan for a spell and their turbo diesels are nothing short of awesome. If for some reason my 2.7 decided to completely dump on me tomorrow I would consider going to dieseltoys.com and getting one of their packages installed. They arent cheap but doubling city gas mileage with a real 4wd vehicle would save tons of money over the long run.

stamped and snail mailed
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    I think its time toyota brought their d4d engines in. I was stationed on mainland Japan for a spell and their turbo diesels are nothing short of awesome. If for some reason my 2.7 decided to completely dump on me tomorrow I would consider going to dieseltoys.com and getting one of their packages installed. They arent cheap but doubling city gas mileage with a real 4wd vehicle would save tons of money over the long run.
    Yup, I just got back from a 6 week trip to the Philippines, and the diesel Toyota Fortuner is super popular there. They also have diesel Land Cruisers (Prado and 200 series) and the diesel Hilux. Diesel fuel in the Philippines is also ~$0.75 USD/gallon cheaper than regular gas, so I'm sure that has something to do with diesel popularity. Oddly enough, most of the cars are gas, and most of the taxis are CNG.

I'd love to see that happen here, but I think I'd have to see what the price increase of a gas motor will be. With diesel fuel being more expensive, it may take a while to recoup the initial sticker price increase, even with higher MPG.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    ... dieseltoys.com ...
    Had never heard of this... been thinking of an HT1 swap in our 80 series, being as it was, I thought, hey a shop that does the swaps, cool, lets check it out.... HO LEE SHEET.
    25 grand? Ouch. Pass.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I can't say it's not expensive and that I could do that instead of get pizza one weekend but what are the diesel options in america? Either its a huge truck or its a tiny car. Nothing that is in the normal SUV range or pickup range.

My buddy just paid 38 grand for a jetta TDI. The golf TDI isn't much cheaper. Mercedes makes a diesel but even if I could afford to buy it I couldn't afford to have the dealer work on it.

Any way that you go about it it is gonna be expensive. I figure I would rather have it in a vehicle I love to drive already than leave Toyota just to have a diesel. Just my thinking.

Then again I also only paid 6k for my 4Runner. Another fact that I tried to get my parents to help me get a 4runner back in 98....but 30k was way out of reach for me back then. I had just gotten my license lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 01-15-2014 at 06:22 AM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Oh no doubt it is a great option, I am just not going to pay 25K to get it in a 18 year old Land Cruiser.
    If I take the swap idea any further will source an engine and parts and swap myself. It still wont be cheap, but not 25K.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I wouldn't mind taking a stab at it but with the amount of stuff that has to be swapped and changed....its pretty daunting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Chris, seeing as how the 80 series already had a diesel engine in overseas markets, it seems like you could source an engine and related parts for a lot cheaper. You could buy a half-cut for a lot less than 25k and just swap the parts over to your LC.

Yanmar makes a marine engine based on the 1HD, and I've always thought it would be neat to see one in a LC.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12