Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Half Marathon done!

Half Marathon done!

I finished!

What an unexpected journey it was. I never thought I'd ever run again after high school, I hated running that much. Sure, I did a couple Pat's run 4.2 milers in the past few years, but that was for fun and I wasn't real serious about it. 13.1 miles needs actual training and prep.

Somehow my sister in law convinced me to join her and my nephew for the PF Chang's half marathon. None of us have ever done anything like this before so we were all in the same boat together.

I have to admit, it was fun. Not only the race, but the 4.5 months leading up to the race (which isn't quite long enough to properly train) and in fact, I might even be hooked on running now.

My time sucked because my knees started hurting bad at around mile 9, so I had to walk the rest of it. For a while there I was battling it out with the blind woman being led by the guide and I lost, but I did beat Fat Batman.

So if you're thinking about signing up for a race, DO IT!. Believe me when I say, if I can do it, anybody can do it.

Plus, after the race you get to eat an incredibly unhealthy chimichanga guilt free.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Awesome! Congrats on finishing! If I attempted, you would find me dead at mile 6!

Yesterday, I was laid up all day with legs too sore to walk. Standing on a slider, tire, and bumper for 12 hours did me in good! Thoughts of walking, let alone running, were too painful!

I think making it to mile 9 is pretty good, and the fact a joint was your reason for slowing down is not unexpected and much better than just being too tired to continue on.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks! Yup, I was in your shoes not even 6 months ago. The funny thing is that once you get in shape enough where you can run for 3-4 miles non-stop, it becomes easier and even fun. You're right, my core body wasn't tired at all. Your cardio gets to a point where it's a piece of cake to run, 13 miles, and probably way more. In addition to my knees giving out, my legs just get tired and start to hurt after 8 miles, but it's one of those pains you feel you can overcome with more training.

I knew my knees were going to be a problem too, because I knew I was over training. About 4 weeks ago I did a 12 mile run and that's when they really started hurting. I think the cure is to get some rest for now, and then start leg strength training.
    Steve

Congratulations. Hopefully this will be the first of many.

My Dad was a runner but has taken a break. Before my sister and I came along my parents were in a local running club and ran a lot. The year I graduated high school he started running again and got hooked which is very common especially for folks in certain age groups. There are the young and pain free, older trying to stay healthy and then the retired endurance type. In about 10 years he ran 20 or so marathons all over the country and would run 20 miles most Saturdays. We would run together and I'd tag along for his 20 miler every other week or so. I'm a cyclist so that's where my heart and time was.

The year is young so plan out what you want to do this year and train. Plan in recovery time and some wiggle room for injuries. I've seen more people hurt themselves trying to do too much too soon which will just get you sidelined. I've also seen a cyclist friend try running and in his first year did a marathon and even an Ironman Triathlon (couple miles swimming, a 100 mile bike ride then a marathon) at elevation.

Find people who are at the same level as you and train together. Also track your runs and follow your fitness achievements as they are good for motivation.

Congrats Steve! I've had a half marathon on my bucket list but an accident in 2009 slowed that progress down. I need to keep that goal in sight.

Congrats man! Definitely know what you mean about being hooked, having done a few 13.1 and 26.2's myself. I used to hate running, but the fact that I can eat whatever I want after a long run is plenty of motivation for me to keep it up. How did you like the Rock n Roll series? I've been thinking of running one but heard some bad things about the Vegas one a couple years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: 97 4runner Sr5, 5spd, 4wd... Awaiting wife's approval to start wrenching

Past: 88 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360, 4wd R.I.P.

Thanks all!

Bad things about the vegas run? Like what? The sister in law wants to do that one because she loves the idea of running down the strip, plus if we compete in that one, we'll qualify for the heavy medal, medal.

I've only run Pat's Run and this RNR run, so I don't have much experience to go on, but I have no complaints. Everything went very smooth and everything was very well organized. I've never seen so many porta potties lined up in one place in my life! There were the typical lines at the ones on the course and once in a while you'd see people (men and women) veer off into a field. Traffic wasn't even that bad getting to and from the event.
    Steve

Half Marathon done!

I have no clue about it as of recently, just know some of the problems they had their 1st year of the Vegas run a few years ago. They didn't plan for as many runners as they'd gotten, and you had to pass some of the check points by certain times or else you were done early. Closing down part of the strip isn't that easy to do.

But that was a few years ago, I'm sure they've worked out all of the kinks by now. I haven't heard any complaints about it since that 1st year, just curious how the AZ was? Looks good from the finish line. The porta pottie lines always crack me up. A lot of people get the pre race nerves and as soon as they get out of a porta potty have to hop right back in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: 97 4runner Sr5, 5spd, 4wd... Awaiting wife's approval to start wrenching

Past: 88 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360, 4wd R.I.P.

I See. They kinda had the same thing going on but it was plenty of time. You had to maintain an 18 min/mile pace or else they'd pick you up and take you to the next checkpoint where you could keep going or call it quits.
    Steve

My Dad has done the San Diego, Phoenix, Vegas and Nashville RNR Marathons. He said they were fun but way too crowded. After the official start he waited something like 20 minutes before he crossed the start line in San Diego. Even then they were all still cattle moving along. I think his slowest times were RNR's which is fine as they weren't qualifiers but can be frustrating for the competitive type.

The mass amounts of people also make them events that have a lot of injuries. He was mostly afraid of getting hurt from tripping, running on the sidewalk or having to make up time in the last miles. Out of class running at a certain age can sideline you from other planned events.

Steve, Sacramento in December is beautiful (somewhat sarcastic but not totally) and home of the CIM: http://www.runcim.org/
    The route is a very nice one and all downhill. I've volunteered at the CIM since 2001 and although cold it's dry most of the time. If you're looking for a goal this is a good one as it give you time and you get to travel a short bit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast