Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20140131(JAN31) Death valley

20140131(JAN31) Death valley

Great time once again!! The weather although cold, was pretty neat for DV. Thursday night and friday saw snow showers at the higher elevations. Saturday and Sunday were partly cloudy and gave a different look to the normally sunny landscapes. Good food, good folks and miles of road
    Pictures to come tonight.

Mike airs down. The smile is since I hound him to take care of his tires and air down lol

Rogers pass

End of our climb to the mountain top

middle park overlook

Butte Valley overlook

The closed bridge

lunch

Cabins

Compressor

Underground time finally!
    Cabin

Lots of machinery still in place

Poser shot for the guy who made my long travel kit

My jeepin friends

JD on the line lookin good

Magic bus

Warm springs mine
    Last edited by troyboy162; 02-03-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Looks like I missed a good time on Friday!

Looks like I missed a good weekend!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post

The closed bridge

Is that the Chicken Rock/South Park bridge they closed? Bummer/

yeah its been closed for years now. Its perfectly fine...just some crap to shut down the chicken rock area I'd guess.

Bummer, that was one of my favorites in DV. A few years back we had just completed the climb up SouthPark and were parked at the top of the hill when a bunch of guys in covered wagons, er, I mean leaf-sprung Jeep CJs, told us we had better not try SouthPark in our "station wagons" and that we wouldn't make it. Funny, considering we didn't even remember it being challenging, aside from being overgrown. Jeep guys. [rolleyes]

its fine going up I'd think but there have been rolls in both directions. Going down you'd have to shy away from taking the far inside line or you'll have alot of lean. Its a bummer since the loop is no longer complete.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    its fine going up I'd think but there have been rolls in both directions. Going down you'd have to shy away from taking the far inside line or you'll have alot of lean. Its a bummer since the loop is no longer complete.
    Going down is a nail-biter, because you're just looking at the canyon where you'll end up if you roll.

(That was my first trip with the 4Runner--even running the paper-thin Michelin LTX highway tires!)

This guy got lucky.

Whoa, that's sketchy! From those pictures, it definitely seems that going wide would be the right line, but I can't see the approach.

Its pretty awful lol. When you walk it all you notice is how loose and crumbly the edge is so you stay the hell away from that and the 40 foot drop off. then you roll because you took the inside line lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast