Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Low Cost Dynamic Tire Balancing with Airsoft Pellets

Right now I have a vibe at 65. Gone at 70. Sorta curious if the beads would smooth it out.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

RE DIY alignments, do you have a guide you use? I have the FSM but it's a bit over my ability. I might even go get a digital level to figure out camber angles.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

At first I used to take measure on the leading and trailing edge of the front tires to measure toe. I also used a string from the back tire pulled tight across the front tires. Since then Ive gotten lazy and just eyeballed it. I drive on a flat area and drive straight. Then pull the Ebrake to come to a slow stop without any nose dive. I get out and eyeball the two tires and take into acount any tendancy of the truck to not track straight. Then make adjustments. Toe is sorta hard to eyeball, but I'm shooting for neutral toe and that gives a certain feel in the steering wheel. camber is very easy to eyeball, but you can use a make shift plum bob if needed.

I know that sounds really ghetto, but my tire wear and handling have both improved alot over the $70 wham bam thank you ma'am alightment jobs I was getting. Not to mention I can fix any alignment issues I get from playing with the coilovers as often as I have.

Thanks. Might give that a try tomorrow. I'm sick of blowing nearly 100 and having them not tighten down the bolts...

It took me at ~3 hours to do my first one since it was way out, but if you are close I bet you can do it pretty fast. I bet you will find they gave you shit tons of toe in. I think a good amount of toe in and caster makes any vehicle track straight and that's all anyone notices.

Left tire is close, right is not. I'd spend a few hours to get it straight.

Interesting to see what else you guys come up with on the DIY alignment.

I fortunately have access to a rack if I wanted, but last time I got the truck aligned through my new job (can't work on your own cars in the shop...) and they did a great job, putting all angles back into spec.

A lot of shop if it requires cam adjustments will usually avoid doing the alignment right and just try to get toe into spec and go, whether the cams are frozen (common problem here on the east coast, I replaced my lower arms and put new eccentrics in with marine grade grease and they haven't frozen yet!) or the tech just does not know how to do it, and honestly with the new alignment machines out there, this shouldn't be an issue, new machines practically walk through the procedures step by step with picture and video directions, and do everything short of turning the actual wrench to make the alignment.

Troy I am not sure how much guys toe in, I actually adjust the toe a little out off of dead on, I learned quickly with toe in a little customers complaining about the steering being touchy going down the road, usually with toe in the steering gets a little more finicky, if that makes any sense.

how far are you lifted in the front? I also wonder if factory specs are appropriate when the A-arms are jacked up high and the truck has body roll. I mean when the A-arms move the steering is effected somewhat. I would suspect that affect is greater the further away from the stock horizontal plane of the arms. In long travel this is called bump steer since body roll steering isnt there main concern lol. Both of the last two alignments I payed for left me with a truck that I would have to countersteer after the body rolled.

Mine does that now. I think in part due to the worn out shocks, but i have to jerk the truck in the opposite direction to get it to sit level. Floppy trucks are fun!

Just removed the airsoft beads from the rear tires. They used a extreme amount of lead to balance them. I'm sure adding more beads could have gotten me balanced but it would have been a shot in the dark on how much to use.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345