Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aussie in the Front - Question

Aussie in the Front - Question

I was thinking while disgusing the purchase on my Lockrite ... the purchase of an Aussie for the front of my truck. I have heard great things about both products and I could probably wait to buy the Aussie for the rear as well. Here's my questions:

What are pros and cons of a locker (aussie) in the front IFS ?
    Will I be able to drive in the snow?
    Is there anything different that needs to be done when engaging 4wd?
    Should I purchase one at all for the front?

Should I wait for the Aussie to become available for the rear (v6 model) instead of purchasing the lockrite?

Thanks in Advanced
    Chris
    '91 Pickup ExtraCab V6 5spd

Re: Aussie in the Front - Question

Bump for you.

Nothing different needs to be done to engage 4wd.
    I'd recommend a front locker. Do you have manual hubs.

You should buy my arb.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

if youre needing 4wd alot in the snow..id recommend a selectable. a bit more money but alot more locker. transparent when you dont need it, a flick of a switch away when you do. get robinhoods, already setup, and then all you need to worry about is air source (easey) and your rear locker. im pretty sure youre running stock gears..so hey..theres an excuse to regear! definitely have manual hubs if you plan on running a front autolocker like an aussie or lockrite
    sonny<br />1998 4Runner LTD...d0uble locked on 35&#039;s<br />crawlinbc.com

Robinhood - What are you selling? If it's not to far out of my price range then I might be interested. I can check back here or PM me. I'm on almost all night at work. I just check in from time to time.

I do have manual hubs stock on my truck.
    &#039;91 Pickup ExtraCab V6 5spd

Can some please explain how having a selectable locker is better for snow driving? I understand that they are better in general, but everyone always mentions about the snow.

If anyone know of any deals I'm all game, but it crazy to spend that much money for a brand name. They can't be $800 worth of that much complicated and hard to produce of a product.

I was reading up and talking with some friends the other night and made mention of a good setup for someone in my position. I ws told a selectable in the rear (good mannors for daily driving and snow/ice) and LSD in the front (allows for traction but also more controll and less chance of breakage then a full out locker).

Any Truth?

Well, I plan to run an LSD up front whenever I can afford it. I'm on the side that thinks a full locker is too much stress up front on the IFS. The reason with all the snow scare with the auto lockers is they are unpredictable and having one up front makes it understeer (or not steer) big time in the snow. If you have a selectable you just switch it off and you have stock stability in the snow.
    1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page

The general consensus seems to be that a LSD does a lot more "slipping than locking." Might be a good alternative to a selectable, but I'd still rather have a full-fledged locker.
    1991 4Runner 4x4 5-speed, 31&#039;s, 3vze<br />1992 Lexus SC400, auto, 1UZ-FE (donor)<br />1978 Datsun 280Z (project car)

I guess I could work on putting a selectable in the rear for now and worry about the rear later.

AMgraham - what do you have in the rear of your 4runner?

Quote Originally Posted by 91ToyTrck
    AMgraham - what do you have in the rear of your 4runner?
    Aussie
    1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast