Thread: Adding a 3rd gen rear spolier / air deflector

Adding a 3rd gen rear spolier / air deflector

I've got a '99 Highlander 4Runner and I can always spot a '99 because they are missing a factory hitch and rear air deflector. When I bought mine it came with an after market Hidden Hitch but I have always wanted a deflector. Searching forums and CL here and there just to stumble upon one was harder than I imagined. A lot of sellers wanted to keep the rear hatch complete, or they wanted upwards of $100 for one so it was never a front burner kind of thing.

Recently I did a number on my rear bumper on a trail and I went looking for parts. During this search I found Death Cougar selling a couple of spoilers, packaged and ready to go. En route to Oregon a few weeks ago I bought it while on the road. I have the factory template and measurements but I needed the rivet nuts. I've used plenty of Riv-Nuts working in a ski and bike shop but they are really hard to come by locally. I have a gun but not the rivet nuts in the size I needed.

My local Ace Hardware had what they called Jack Nuts so I picked up a few, cracked a beer and drilled some holes. The jack nuts are easier to install with the Jack Nut handle so I bought one. In retrospect it wasn't needed but I did use the nut and bolt manual method to compress the nuts.

Nuts and wrench

One my way to the correct size hole for the nut.

Manually cranking it down. I ended up using a ratcheting wrench as the nuts compressed quite a bit. There were 6 Jack Nuts total and some required a socket on the bolt to keep the entire thing from spinning. The supplied handle didn't do much to resist the spinning but I wasn't really getting too far into it because I was standing on the bumper and didn't want to muff things up by rushing it.

I've got about 4, 3rd gens within walking distance from my house so I glanced at them to figure out the correct placement. I didn't feel like doing all the measurements from the template so I eyeballed it which is easy since the brackets only fit on one spot. I was concerned about hiding the 3rd brake light but it seems like it is what it is as the neighbors were slightly blocked if you looked at it from the right angle.

I was able to use all the factory hardware, painted and sealed the holes and it's rock solid. There were some scuffs I couldn't get out so I hit it with bumper and trim paint and it turned out quite well. I look forward to not having so much dirt on my rear window from now on.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 07-06-2015 at 01:04 PM.

Looks great!!!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Nice work. The wind deflector seems to shade the 3rd brake light and make it more visible in the sun.

Hey that does look good! I've always wanted one as well and after seeing the work involved I'm kind of split as to whether I will or not. Like you said it's not a front burner thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

In all the install took about 30 minutes and I'm really happy with how it turned out. Compared to what you've done with your 4Runner lately it would be a piece of cake.

This view is common on our friends forested property. There are many gates to open and close on adjacent owners property (cattle and horses). It's super dusty and some of the gates are close together so riding on the bumper or slider is preferred to keep dust and cow crap out of the vehicle. The spoiler will be a nice handle.

This trip I had the trip basket which is easier to ride on than a slider, especially when my wife aims for cow patties and goes just fast enough to make you which you were wearing a helmet.

Last edited by 4x4mike; 08-13-2014 at 09:20 AM.

The 5th gens are getting a lot of complaints about dirt on the back window. I can't find the specific thread I was looking for, but a bunch of 4Runners were 4wheeling together and the 3rd gens with the rear deflectors had clean rear windows, while the 5th gens were coated in dirt. The 5th gen design was more for efficiency, which makes the dust problem worse than not having it at all. But they've also got an additional 950 pounds of curb weight to lug around, so something had to be done to help the mileage.

Here's mention of the issue on 5th gens: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...lp-please.html

I've had my rear hatch open a few times for mods or repairs and I was happy to see it not packed with pounds of dirt. With the deflector the dust would pile on the window seal. At times I would blow it off with compressed air or just not open the rear window in fear of getting more dirt in there.

This was 2008 Barney Riley. Lots of dust from less than 10 miles and nothing higher than about 5 mph.

Nice work, Mike. I'm shocked you didn't flush mount your amber led's into the deflector Looks good and clean...time to change that.

I have to agree as well Mike.

I like it!

The 80 series Lexus we just bought doesnt have one, but our 80 series Land Cruiser did, I will wait and see how the window winds up on this one.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

mike, good job. i used those same captive nuts to install a mirror on my BMW too