Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommenation for a Shop in San Diego for ADD to Manual Locking Hub Conversion

Question Recommenation for a Shop in San Diego for ADD to Manual Locking Hub Conversion

Hello, I am new to the forum. Looking for recommendations.

Here is my situation, I have a 1998 Toyota 4Runner 4WD Auto with ABS that has "ADD" that is on it's second "CV Axle Replacement," and would like to take this opportunity for a "Manual Locking Hub Conversion" to minimize wear and tear on the CV Axles. I have the Non-ABS Spindles with manual locking hubs and CV axles from a Tacoma. I would like to use my ABS Spindles.

What it cost and how long would it take ? What shops in San Diego would the members recommend ? Please, let me know.

Thank you.
    Mike

The only one that comes to mind is Yotamasters in Corona.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

What a quick response , Thank you Sean. I sent an email to them. They are closed on weekends, hope to hear from them.

Cheers,
    Mike98SR5

That's my best guess. They do good work. Most of our SD guys don't post much, but I shared to FB so maybe someone will chime in.

In the mean time, welcome to the site! We would love to see pictures of your 4Runner!

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

The Yotamasters have a website as well. Seems like they know what they are doing with yota trucks that's for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Mike98SR5 View Post
    Hello, I am new to the forum. Looking for recommendations.

Here is my situation, I have a 1998 Toyota 4Runner 4WD Auto with ABS that has "ADD" that is on it's second "CV Axle Replacement," and would like to take this opportunity for a "Manual Locking Hub Conversion" to minimize wear and tear on the CV Axles. I have the Non-ABS Spindles with manual locking hubs and CV axles from a Tacoma. I would like to use my ABS Spindles.

What it cost and how long would it take ? What shops in San Diego would the members recommend ? Please, let me know.

Thank you.
    Mike
    You will need 2 new wheel bearings and a shop press. Keeping ABS is the easy part, as its just a ABS tone ring you reuse off the original when you have the Manual hub pressed in.

Here is a picture of the ABS tone ring.

Manual hub spindle

You will also need the special socket tool, to get that locking nut off.

97 4runner Limited<br />2wd---&gt;4wd Conversion

You might talk to the guys at SD Trux, or TLC Auto Repair....I cant vouch for either one myself, but have heard good things
    1995 4runner--SAS'd and armored--GONE

1998 4Runner--under construction--GONE

2003 4runner...the new project

Hello, Thank you for ALL of your responses. I did go to SD Trux, it took only two (2) hours.

Now looking at converting my moonroof control, center console ( wiring tips ?) and cup holder, to that of the 2002.

Thanks Again,
    Mike

Glad it worked out well for you!

All wiring takes is time and patience. A good set of crimpers will also help. However when you get to the oh sh*t handle you will need an impact screwdriver (never saw one before I did this project) but here is a link.

http://m.skygeek.com/ats-650-s.html?...uo8aAqgg8P8HAQ

I found one on ebay made for Suzuki bikes and got that one but the price is fairly comparable. Reason for the impact is because of all the loctite. You WILL NOT get the screws out with a normal screwdriver....ask me how I know lol.

Both mods you are talking about have writeups in the tech section I believe. I wish I could be of more help but I have a 5 spd....and no sunroof (wish I had the sunroof lol)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I wait until a really hot day to pull the entry handles off. Works like a charm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast