Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fitting 15" steel rims on a 16" brake

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

fitting 15" steel rims on a 16" brake

I should note that these post pertains to 96-02 4runner brakes that came with the 16" rim package. There are 4runners that had different smaller brakes and 15" rims as well(I have no info on those). The information wont exactly pertain to tacomas since there 15" and 16" were different calipers then 4runners.

I've been watching 15" tire prices for awhile and contemplating the switch. On average they are about 2/3rds the price of a 16" rim 35" tire. Not to mention this is a way into cheap steel bead locks. Initial investment is not any savings. Basicly I get free rims and don't save any money. But I also needed more backspacing anyways.

I bought procomp d window 3.75 bs 8" wide wheels. With a 1/4 spacer about 1/8" material is removed. I researched and someone else took much much more off to fit 15" alloys. Also I barely went deeper then two casting defects. Oh its scary, but I think I'm very safe
    Last edited by troyboy162; 06-13-2014 at 02:40 AM.

I'd do some testes with the abs and super hard stops, maybe 10 or 12 or until the brakes start to fade, see if they spring a leak. After that, I'd think they should be good to go.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

deffiantly a few test stops to be sure, but I'm pretty confident given this picture of what a kid did. Granted he is most likley not left with a safe amount of meat, but I can see the casting is thick on the ends. 255339d1153506931-please-help-15-rims-98-4runner-please-help-img_2278-vi.jpg

Oh wow! Yeah, you should be good then. LOL! All that guy is left with is a Calip

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I took another few hours and got rid of the spacers. I also worked the bottom flange of the d holes of the rim. I wasn't happy about that but it minimal material on the rim and saves taking a lot off the caliper in a spot I wasnt confident on how deep was safe. Without the spacers is quite a bit more material, but I feel its still safe due to the pictures I've seen.

I did the same with my wheels. Remember my flat in Mojave? The spare had to self clearance on the caliper, but it wasn't much.

just a update but eaton beadlocks do not fit with any amount of grinding. The inner wheel tapers down to fast as shown in this picture next to my procomp rim.
    rim.jpg

That stinks, just curious I know you said you found the price of tires for 15" rims, cheaper, but whats the selection like?
    I actually have had some of the crawler guys around here ask if I had a extra set of 16" rims for sale cause they are having troubles finding anything to fit a 15" rim anymore.

So I presume you are shooting for bead locks, I know price is a big factor but have to considered recentered military Humvee rims?
    A buddy of mine is running them on his first gen and they are some awesome tires!

He kept the inner rubber, but cut it down so he could rub a lower pressure and get a more flexy tire.

selection is lower but still good in the 35" range. duratacs, MTR, KM2, BFG AT...all the usual tires are available, just not some of smaller brands. FYI I bought 4 MTR's at $200 each. I dont get many miles out of tires since they get abused. Saving 80-90 per tire should be helpful over the next few years.

I've looked into humvee rims, but the whole set up is heavy. You have to run the military take offs or you are stuck with expensive tires. the military tires are a nice shape but fairly heavy for their size. I figure heavy wheel/tire set ups will mean more broken axles.

Beadlocks are on hold...Without a cheap pre-made solution I have to weld my own. I cannot justify the time spent on getting that right. I'n reality Ive only blown one bead in 5 years, but I was looking forward to the piece of mind.

just looked up some weights on the other cheap tire route of 16.5" humvee rims and tires...146 LBS for a rim and tire combo. Of course thats a strong tire on a great double bead locked rim. I dont think I have the truck to use those without adding too much stress to the old girl. with 15" rims I'd be hard pressed to hit 100 lbs I'd imagine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast