Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Toyota Tundra to get a Cummins Diesel in their lineup!?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2016 Toyota Tundra to get a Cummins Diesel in their lineup!?

Check this out! Mighty interesting news. Would be awesome if Toyota just brought their own diesel into the mix. Or better yet just offer a diesel variant on the LC model!

Quote Originally Posted by Christie Schweinsberg @ Wards Auto
    Toyota’s Tundra large pickup is set to go diesel.

According to a WardsAuto forecast, the Tundra will get a 5.0L turbodiesel V-8 from engine-maker Cummins, likely when the next-generation Tundra debuts in 2016.

This is a version of the same engine competitor Nissan will use in its next-generation Titan fullsize truck, set to debut next year in the U.S.

How different the engine will be from the Titan Cummins diesel is unclear. That mill is expected to produce more than 300 hp and more than 500 lb.-ft. (678 Nm) of torque in the Nissan truck.

A source tells WardsAuto the Cummins diesel possibly is a placeholder for Toyota, as the automaker had been working on an in-house Tundra diesel engine in 2007 and 2008.

However, the global economic downturn shelved the project, believed to be the result of a collaboration with Toyota’s Hino heavy-truck subsidiary. An in-house diesel likely would have relatively low sales numbers compared with less-expensive gasoline engines, but high development and certification costs.

However, with future, more-stringent CAFE regulations in the U.S., calling for all automakers to meet a fleet target of 54.5 mpg (4.3 L/100 km) in 2025, a diesel now is seen as a necessity for the Tundra.

If the Cummins diesel sees a lot of takers, it could prompt Toyota to reinstate its own diesel project, the source says.

The Tundra and Titan won’t be the only light-duty diesel pickups in the U.S. when they debut.

Chrysler
    has begun retailing its own light-duty diesel, a V-6 unit in the Ram 1500.

The Ram’s 3.0L EcoDiesel V-6, which makes 240 hp and 420 lb.-ft. (580 Nm) of torque while achieving a 20/28 mpg (11.7-8.4 L/100 km) city/highway fuel economy rating, is one of Ward’s 10 Best Engines for 2014. It begins at $27,050, a $2,850 premium over the Ram 1500 with a 3.6L gasoline V-6.

Ford
    will continue offering the 6.7L Power Stroke V-8 in its F-Series medium-duty pickups.

General Motors
    also has diesels in its medium-duty trucks, but recently indicated it may dust off its long-shelved 4.5L turbodiesel V-8 for light-duty applications.

And Feb. 6 at the Chicago Auto Show, Nissan showed off a 2.8L 4-cyl., 200-hp turbodiesel from Cummins in its Frontier midsize pickup, which it says may reach production if feedback to the concept is favorable.

cschweinsberg@wardsauto.com
    http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-te...cummins-diesel
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

What I don't get is the article mentions that Toyota would have to develop their own diesel, but they already offer the 4.5 overseas, as well as engines from Hino, Fuji Heavy, and Daihatsu. The only hurtle would be the US EPA regulations, which I imagine would be better for Toyota to pay than to sign a contract to use a Cummins engine that is shared with the competition.

The 1VD-FTV makes 260 hp and 480 ftlb, not as much as is claimed by the new 5.0 Cummins, but with a genuine Toyota badge on it, it would be mine, and a lot of other people's, pick. With fuel economy somewhere above 20 mpg, I think it would be a winner.

We've discussed some of this in the 5th gen 4Runner bash thread, but it really deserves its own discussion.

Want to raise diesel adoption? Remove the price premium. Yes, I get it, the engine "costs" more because of the certification process and some of the components are more expensive. Stop punishing the choice, and spread the cost through out the models. Make a diesel option 300 or 500 dollars instead of 3k, and adoption will go up, giving better CAFE numbers and allowing people to actually save some money.

If I'm not mistaken, Euro market diesels are cheaper than their gasoline counterparts.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Honestly I think it comes down to ugly American brand recognition. Pure and simple. Toyota lovers like us see and recognize the performance, reliability, and just sheer quality that goes into any toyota brand including Scion(although insulation is a little lacking in my xb). I have first hand experiemce with diesel land cruisers, toyota short buses, crowns, etc. and you cannot tell me toyota couldn't pass us standards by the books easily. It comes down to how much toyota would have to lobby, line people's pockets, and other non automotive business practices to get their diesel to pass.

Then you have the American public who are honestly the most stuck up mofos in the world that look down at the world through their noses. Anything not built in America (crikes what a farce) is Chinese junk. Newsflash for the Americans. We now officially suck in science and math compares to other 1st world countries. This is not the 1950s or whatever decade you think America peaked....its the entitled generation of 20xx.

Its my opinion and it took me 24 countries of travelling with the military to realize how badly the American public has it wrong. On the other hand America has a lot of things right too except that we are getting ready to give it all up.

I wish to hell toyota would do its own diesels too. They are more geared towards small vehicles vs. Cummins.

stamped and snail mailed
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

It is extremely expensive for manufacturers to keep up with the ever-tightening emission regulations. It was a good move on behalf of Cummins to make and certify an engine for automanufacturers to use, and it would be a huge cost saving to Nissan and Toyota to test the waters with a purchased engine than to tool a factory to make an engine that may not sell well. I think it will sell well, but evidently Nissan and Toyota may not agree.

Big rig manufacturers do the same things with engines. My uncle is an engineer for Kenworth--they make the truck and leave the engine certifications to Cummins, Cat, Detroit Diesel, Volvo and John Deere. You can buy an over-the-road truck with any engine you want. You may remember back to 2007 when diesel emission regulations got so stringent that Cat just couldn't get their equipment to pass, and they went a number of years without selling a single engine for over-the-road vehicles and were limited to making engines for generators, tractors and mining equipment. Keeping up with emissions laws and certifications is exorbitantly expensive. If Nissan and Toyota sell a bunch of trucks with the Cummins engine, at that point it might make sense to go to the trouble of certifying their own engines for use in the U.S.

Hopefully the Cummins V8 ends up being a good engine. I think it would have been better to go with an I5 or I6, but perhaps room under the hood is an issue.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

This is part of a MUCH larger discussion, but I really do hope that US and EU can adopt regulations for both. This would make it so much cheaper for automakers, designing for one crash standard and one emission standard. I know there is work being done right now to standardize the safety standards, including headlights, turn signals, etc. Emissions needs to happen too. I know CARB approved vehicles are more expensive to produce than their federal counterparts, but most automakers have figured out it is easier to produce one vehicle that meets all regulations, so it can be sold anywhere in the US.

I still say the biggest thing keeping people from buying diesel cars, other than the distinct lack of choices, is the cost of entry. Drop that, and I think diesel will make a huge splash in America.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

http://jalopnik.com/everyone-wants-a...sel-1526381545

Saw it floating around on the internet today, but Jalopnik always has the most enjoyable articles and comments.

I think this is a good sign for diesel pickups.

28mpg isn't bad at all! It's pretty awesome that they sold out so quick too. Looks like diesels are gaining a bit more traction here.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

indeed the demand for diesel is definitely on the rise. just patiently waiting for Toyota to get with the program. the 28mpk on the new dodge is pretty sweet.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

In my mind, a diesel makes a lot of sense in a pickup or SUV. Going from 17 mpg to 28 mpg in a full sized truck is a 65% improvement in fuel economy, whereas a diesel Jetta rated at 42 mpg highway vs 36mpg for the gas version is only a 16% increase. I noted this morning that gas is $3.35 a gallon whereas diesel is $3.89 at the same store, exactly a 16% difference in price.

I'm not sure why the pickup manufacturers are so hesitant to offer a diesel line-up, it makes perfect sense for pickups and SUVs. As long as they don't pull a Chrysler and throw a gas transmission behind the diesel only to have them fail, then decide to recall them and instead of fix the transmission, they de-rated the torque on the engine. (CRD Liberty) Oh, Chrysler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast