Thread: Vehicle Specific Emergency Bag

Vehicle Specific Emergency Bag

Are you prepared the for the worst (SHTF) scenario at a moments notice? I know many of us have prepared emergency bags at home (I hope) but how many of us have done something similar for each of our vehicles?

I've been cleaning out my place over the last week trying to figure out how to best prepare for the worst and it dawned on me that I didn't have anything prepared for any of my vehicles. (doh) At home I have a pairs of emergency day bags, 1-3day backpacks and a 7-10 day bags/luggage but nothing for my vehicles. Not sure how I can possibly overlook this considering I feel that I'm super prepared but apparently that wasn't the case. I know this should have been one of my top priorities since I'm always on the road driving but surprisingly I guess my focus on getting prepared was too narrow in thinking that I'd be home when bad stuff happens. Unfortunately when bad stuff happen you might not be home so having supplies with you nearby might be a life saver.

With that in mind I thought I'd try to share what I've started to build in my Land Cruiser. It's not much but here's a good start. Hopefully you guys can help expand the listing and create a monster list! The good thing about having a vehicle specific emergency bag is that you can literally cram a bunch of stuff throughout the cabin and spread your junk so long as you remember where everything is!

Emergency Bag - to cram everything in.

• First Aid
    • Petroleum Jelly (multi purpose for first aid and also fire starter)
    • CPR Face Shield (Not necessary but cool to have)
    • 3x 1L Water (note that if you live in warm/hot weather, the plastic water bottles will degrade due to the heat so find other alternatives)
    • Empty Hydration Bag (i.e. camelback insert only)
    • Snack (Energy Bars/Caffeine Candy - These are great to consume during long commutes)
    • Knives/Multitool - Assorted
    • Pepper Spray
    • Flashlight(s) - Assorted sizes (2) and headlamps (3)
    • Extra Batteries!!!
    • Duck Tape
    • Fire Start Device / Matches / tinder (don't buy tinder but use your dryer lint after each load! Just sandwich bag em and you're good - or cotton balls would work too)
    • FRS Radio (Why I still keep these I dunno but I have em so I figure I'll keep em)
    • 2x Handheld Ham Radios
    • 1x Handheld CB Radio
    • Thermal Blanket (One of those thin foil ones)
    • Baby wipes
    • Whistle

Tool Bags(I'm assuming many of us carry this for onroad/offroad repairs)
    • wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers etc
    • Zip Ties (A bunch - everyone needs this!)
    • latex gloves

Other stuff I have lying around
    • Pair of hiking boots
    • Fleece Blanket (always nice to have)
    • Trash/grocery/produce bags - Having a bunch of these are always great!
    • Pen / Paper - you never know when you need it
    • Umbrella (I know it doesn't rain in LA but I've always felt the need to have one)
    • Mobile Ham Radio
    • Fire Extinguisher
    • Baby wipes
    • 2x Flashlights
    • Tissue
    • 2x ratchet strap
    • Fridge - great for grocery runs! (ice cream!)

Things that I think I need to add to the above list:

• Toilet Paper (though I do have baby wipes so... hmm)
    • Clothing (Pants/Shirt/Jacket/Sweater/Gloves/Beanie/Hat/Socks)
    • Food? Not sure how to really store this. I suppose in the fridge but I prefer not to.
    • Recovery bag - i.e. snatch block/straps, d rings, synthetic ropes

If you have little ones I'm assuming you already have either a diaper bag and/or kid bag you bring with you at all times so that should suffice right?

Thoughts, suggestions?
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I usually keep all my tools in the truck, along with my recovery gear, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, etc. so all that is covered.

I keep 5-10 water bottles in the truck, and usually cycle them through by drinking them and replace with new stock. I don't keep food in my truck, but I should. Just some power bars would be plenty. I used to, but don't anymore.

I have the ham in the vehicle, but only carry the hand held on trips.

My general emergency plan, especially while I was at Cal Poly, was to be able to make it home. Even with a substantial earthquake, I could make it home (~40 miles) within a day. I had routes in my head I could take that were not freeways or even major roads. Hell, if I had to, I could follow rail roads or pick up the Santa Ana River.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Having stuff in the vehicle is always a good thing. If I were to empty my 4Runner there would probably be a shopping cart worth of stuff. For the most part most of it is stashed and only a smallish duffel bag rides in the back. When we bought a house it was almost a requirement that I wasn't going to drive into work. I live in between 2 major freeways that lead to and from work but if the SHTF and you had a car or relied on public transportation you'd be covered in the "S" portion. I bring up work/commute because that is where I spend most of my week and I'm always solo. It's about 20 miles to work and I ride a train in and ride my bicycle home. I have no problem with doing it both ways or even walking that if need be, regardless of the weather since I do it everyday anyways. If I had to hoof it I'd be light years above trying to do it in a vehicle.

The freeways and side streets would be parking lots and I think you'd be a target if you were prepared. In the long run if there was a large natural disaster people would be on foot. My bike ride home is along the American River and is paved and covered in trails. I grew up here so if I had to bed down or seek shelter before getting home I have many friends and most of my family between work and home.

Having said that I do keep things in my vehicle but it's somewhat pared down because for 1) it would be sitting there not being used in most cases, 2) it's stuff that be easily stolen as my 4Runner is always outside (home or park and ride) and 3) if I'm going somewhere I usually throw a few more items in just in case.

If I keep a pair of gloves in the 4Runner for cold weather emergencies I might as well carry 4 or I'll be just prepping for someone else. At all times there is a well equipped first aid kit, recovery equipment, basic tools, water, snacks, fire starting, comms, inverter, tie downs, blankets, jackets, shovel, saw, tarp, flares, TP, 550 cord, and a sleuth of other items. All pretty purpose picked. All of it fits under the rear seat, in my modded cargo pocket, map pockets, under the seats or in the glove box. I like to be well prepared but don't like it to take over the little storage space in the vehicle or get in the way on a regular basis.

In the duffel I have some extra diapers and wipes. These can be used for kids or adults. For sanitary purposes or massive blood loss incidents. There are some cam straps, blankets, gore tex jacket, hat, shovel and probably a tree saver strap. I also have a small Rubbermaid container with somewhat of a get home or stay comfortable before you die kit. Another reason for the bag is that it can be used as a backpack to fill with shiz if you needed to walk out of somewhere.

The Rubbermaid is packed with small essentials that would be handy to have if you had to bug out real quick from the vehicle, you're lost or stuck and have to spend the night or if you have to separate from others and have something to take with you.

The container itself can be used to store or carry water, etc if need be. It's filled with stuff I think I'd need. I go through it every couple of months or with a change in seasons. Sometimes there are Snickers bars but they melt in the summer, etc.

I see people always stocking up on the little space blankets. While they can be useful they suck to use. I have one in my first aid kit as it can be used to lay someone on, in or protect from the elements. I have a few in my glove box as well. In my kit I keep space bags instead. They are just a little bigger but they are a bag you can get inside which is much more protective and useful if you need to use one. The candles are 10 hour wind resistant ones that can be used for light, fire starting and heat. Foil for boiling water, signaling or eating out of. Razor blade, can opener, fishing line and hooks. Also some trash bags and zip locks. These can become useful for carrying, covering or insulation.

Great topic. I'm in the middle of re-building my survival/first-aid kit since the previous one was stolen when my truck was broken into last year, and based on that experience I'm trying to keep the cost down and really focus on important items. On a daily basis I have a 4runner-focused tool set, fire extinguisher, ratchet straps, basic stuff for repairs (tape, tire plugs, zip ties, wire, fuses, etc) and my recovery gear in the truck. In the winter I also carry a shovel ever since I got my WRX stuck in the snow in January. The survival kit is a work in progress but includes a reflective tarp, waterproof jacket, headlamp, knife, fire kit, water storage and purification items, and a few other things. I'd held off on finalizing my new first aid kit because last weekend I got re-certified in wilderness and remote first aid and I wanted to see what items we used in the class this time. I'll try to post some pics soon, and I'm really interested to hear what other carry.

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Classes are a great way to learn about what you'll need. This year is the first in probably 10 that I haven't re upped my WFA cert. Like I mentioned above I didn't want to stock the 4Runner with a bunch of expensive stuff that is likely to be stolen. Especially since it doesn't get used much unless it's on a trip. I'll throw stuff in for a day trip and if it's a dedicated trip I pretty much plan to be out twice as long as planned. If Jeepers show up with Vodka all bets and preparedness are out the window.

Mike, I'm not sure I understand your "Jeepers with Vokda" reference? Can you provide more details.

Oh, and yesterday morning I meant to take pictures of my truck kit, but discovery that the quart of oil I had in my storage drawer leaked all over. So instead of taking pictures I got to clean that up. Fun.
    Last edited by slomatt; 02-26-2014 at 10:36 PM.
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Matt, there is actually a video and even sober it's pretty funny. I'll let others provide details as my memory is somewhat foggy. Somewhere, maybe here maybe 4x4NC, you have pics of the bin you carry under your seat, etc.

I was assuming the vodka reference was to the Pardoes trip where you guys drank the whole handle. If so, then I was there in person to witness it. Or, perhaps there have been other jeeps and vokda experiences.

I do have a picture of my under-seat bin online, but it's changed since then.

- Matt

That was the trip. I barely knew those guys and had never really had much vodka. That night changed both of those for me.

That was the shortest longest night and was happy I didn't die in my sleep. Thanks again for keeping me from falling in the fire and putting me to bed. Good times.