Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare Fluids

Spare Fluids

So what spare fluids do you carry in your vehicle?

My plan was to use a spare ammo can to contain them, plus seal each bottle with a food saver, to prevent messy leaks.

I have space for 4 or so bottles, and was going to do 2 quarts of 5W30 oil and 2 quarts ATF, but I am not sure that such a little amount would really help me.

So how do you store your spare fluids, and what do you take along and what do you ditch?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

In the 4runner I used to carry 8qts of 5w30 (+ 2 oil filters), 6 qts of Toyota ATF, 2 qts of DOT4, 1 gal of Toyota Coolant and a bunch of water. Probably excessive but considering how badly I wrecked my truck in the past I learned it's better to have too much of everything than being stuck none at all. Though I'd say some is better than none.

Storing is going to be a chore but some good design ideas are to find available space in the engine bay or even in the front bumper area to squeeze bottles here and there. I've seen some guys cut out sheet metal to make room for an oil rack on the passenger wheel well for all of their oil. Thought that was brilliant design.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I used to carry 4 quarts of oil and 4 quarts of ATF in my old truck. I also had plenty of water. Storage space wasn't an issue and carried them around everyday because I had a place for it all. I never used it nor found anyone who needed it. Just the other day I was going through my fire cabinet and found all of those fluids just like they were when I pulled them out of the truck.

I blew a transmission on the road and the fluid was toast. We were thinking about draining the fluid and adding new just to get back to town but there was no saving it. You have to go through scenarios of why you'd need the fluids. If you crack a case or blow an oil pan you have to have a way of fixing that problem before you can ever refill it. I've seen JB weld fixes and welding but you need to also consider those supplies, some thin metal and catch basins for collection and possible reuse of fluids.

Basically, I am considering the event of a blown hose. I have plenty of JB weld, tape, wire, etc.

Part of the reason I have used ammo cans for storage is the ability to use them as a catch basin for fluids.

I figure if there is a moderate oil leak, I can keep refilling to get closer to a real road. The ATF is for the power steering or transmission. I could see one of the soft lines rupturing and requiring a moderate amount of refill. Any major damage would just require a strap and a tow, no matter what I had I couldn't repair a cracked transmission pan. I might be able to slow a leak, but it's not going to be a good fix.

Really, this is just to get me closer. I have 100 mile tow, Lexi has 200, So that is an option once back to pavement.

For the radiator, I usually have a few gallons worth of extra water on trips. Not ideal, but would do in a pinch.

Lance, that sounds excessive!

Mike, 4 of each sounds good. I do have a spot under the truck that would be perfect, guess it's time to build a box there!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Indeed it sounds excessive but I have gone thru half of what I brought once with me on an extended NV trip. I personally didn't need it but other vehicles did need it so it was good that we had ample fluids. When you're so far from pavement it's kinda nice to have plenty of supplies.

Good call on JB. that's a MUST have! Don't forget empty aluminum soda cans can do wonders to help seal busted hoses and also double as catch cans too! Though it's small but it's better than nothing.

Sean, just bring your trailer and pack an extra truck! hehe you'll definitely be able to go home then!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Back when I was driving around a bunch, I had a couple quarts of oil and a gallon of water specifically for the radiator, plus usually another gallon or two of drinking water. I also had a bottle of brake fluid.

Normally though, I just carry one or two quarts of oil. My 2nd gen had a perfect spot to carry oil under the hood. I could put a quart of oil between the brake booster and fender, and something else (don't remember what--fuse box maybe?) would keep it from moving forward. Perfect fit. I had an egg crate in the back with bunch of other random fluids too.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

-2 qts oil
    -qt atf
    -pint unopened brake fluid
    -jb weld
    -welding putty
    -gal unmixed coolant
    -however many bottles of water I dont finish and just combined into 2-3 bottles

Im sure i got other stuff too.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I've got a kit of unopened JB weld, a kit of quick steel epoxy and gorilla tape for fixing such matters. They ride along with a travel roll of duct tape and full roll of electrical tape in my cargo area. In my tool roll I have another JB kit as well as some 2 part epoxy, hose clamps, wire, zip ties, etc.

In my old ZJ I used to carry engine oil, diff fluid, transmission fluid, and brake fluid because that truck liked to break down. In the 4runner I usually don't carry any spare fluids, except for perhaps a quart of 5w30 oil.

The Jeep had a habit of having the differential covers peel off on rocks, so the diff fluid was useful. It also had at least one sensor on the transmission that broke and drained the all the fluid out, luckily that was in my garage and not on the trail. One of the power steering pumps (it went through 3 while I had it) leaked a lot and required refilling.

On the other hand I can't think of a lot of cases where I would need fluids in the 4runner. If there is any major loss of engine oil then I probably don't have the parts to fix it on the trail and will need to be towed. Same thing with the manual transmission and transfer case. If the truck was an auto then it would be possible to damage a line to the transmission cooler, but patching that on the trail would be questionable. Since the differentials use 3rd members it would be difficult to get a leak there, unless you crack the housing in which case you are getting towed home. I guess you could break some teeth off the gears and need to drain the diff to get them out, but in that case you could just filter and re-use the original oil to get off the trail. Another possibility would be a case where an axle shaft broke and fluid drained out, but our rear axles are captured at the outer bearing so that would be pretty difficult. Most likely possibilities seem to be having a radiator hose leak or tearing a brake line. You can use tape on a radiator hose, and you can try to cap off a failed brake line, so having spare fluids for those two items might be good.

What do you guys think? Having spare fluids is only really useful if you are able to repair the leak in the first place. Did I miss any other repairable fluid leaks?

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Quote Originally Posted by slomatt View Post
    What do you guys think? Having spare fluids is only really useful if you are able to repair the leak in the first place. Did I miss any other repairable fluid leaks?

- Matt
    I tend to think like you Matt. My past vehicle was more prone to needing things like fluids.

On a trip to Mono/Bridgeport I lost a fuel filter and had a hardline brake line vibrate loose. We were traveling far on dirt roads and the parts basically vibrated loose. We found the fuel filter and used gas to clean it and then reinstalled it. The brake line was just reinstalled and the brakes were only about 50% but was fine enough to get back to a Bridgeport.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast