Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spare Fluids

I think the most likely failure on a Toyota is a blown radiator hose, meaning one should carry a hose repair kit and some extra water. An old set of belts does not take up much space and neither does a small bottle of brake fluid. I always carry MAF cleaner because it likes to get dirty and throw CELs when following other trucks through the desert. JB Weld isn't a bad idea either for making small repairs.

I agree, the 4Runner just never gives me problems to warrant carrying fluid. I have never, in the last 8 years, carried any. The only time I needed anything was up in Big Bear, my axle seal gave up and dumped quite a bit of fluid. I could have gone the rest of the weekend with a low diff, but someone happened to have an extra quart, and it took the entire quart of fluid.

That's the only time I've ever had a need for extra fluid, other than failing to check my oil level before Pismo and after an oil change.

So I think I will pack up a small bottle of DOT4. I wish I could get distilled water in .5L bottles, but using drinking water would not be the end of the world for an emergency trail repair. I usually carry around 5 gallons in water in the truck on a trip, a gallon or two otherwise.

For hose repair, I've never found a kit I thought would work. I pack JB weld, JB kwik, Steelstick, Gorilla Tape, bailing wire, rubber cement, and probably the most helpful thing, self fusing silicone tape.

Again, it just has to get you to a paved road or civilization.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

That reminds me. I need another roll of silicone tape. It's another super useful tool to have and doesn't take up much room. I forgot where online I saw it but there is another product similar to the silicone tape but fuses and forms a hard, cast like surface, and is somewhat fiberous. Need to get looking.

Please do look, that sounds like a sure addition to my kit!

I love the silicone tape. I used it to make a rubber handle for my swingout latch, and it has been on there for 4 years or so now. Good stuff. I have also used it for electrical connections and to seal up a leaky pipe in the house until we could fix it.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

This is the stuff Mikes talking about I think, isnt cheap but it works well I hear. Goes on like the silicone tape but hardens like epoxy

http://www.amazon.com/FIBER-FIX-Adhe.../dp/B009WSDWUG
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Interesting... I can't see a need for it other than maybe exhaust components, as the silicone tape is good to 500F

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Interesting... I can't see a need for it other than maybe exhaust components, as the silicone tape is good to 500F
    Id say since it hardens like epoxy it will be SUPER handy if some metal component broke and you had nothing else. I saw it in dirt riders (atv) magazine and they showed it being used to repair a broken frame on the trail.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Well that's what I was thinking, could I repair a upper link or something with it. I'm not sure if it would work, but maybe in conjunction with a ratchet strap or two, it might. I think the price is a little high.

That's the stuff. I had seen it in a store and a single roll. I think silicone tape is 1" and it's the same if not more than a 1" roll of the fiber fix stuff if you saw it on a shelf.

Seems I pay about $10-15/roll for the silicone tape, name brand (though I've forgotten which). I guess 25 isn't terrible. Problem is, I'd want to try it before I pack it up, and $25 is an expensive experiment.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast