Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spare Fluids

I was looking into it more and the cost isn't bad at all. I was looking at the 3 pack being 25 dollars, but the 1"x40" is around 5 or 6, which is very worth a spot in my tool box. I'll try it at some point, and let you guys know.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Sean, some of the reviews on Amazon mentioned the product is basically one-time use. Once the package is opened and moisture gets in, the roll hardens. If you plan on using all 40" at once, that isn't a big deal, but it doesn't sound like you can use some now and some later. Still, 5 or 6 dollars for a one-time emergency fix isn't bad.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I was reading that. I think for an emergency fix, that property would be acceptable.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I saw a few of you have talked about the putty epoxys. I can attest to the permatex stuff attaching a vent to my tank for the last three years.
    a20792a1285ae01c07f5b6_s.jpg

and I now have JB water weld in my tank. I have a couple samples sitting in gas on my counter right now. two weeks and no visible degradation
    WaterWeld-Putty.jpg
    Both are working fine so far so they'd both make good emergency repairs.

I saw the water weld the other day at the hardware store and was temped to buy it. Do you know if it's a new product or something similar to something that's already out there? I already have Quick Steel and it states it will set up under water and is resistant to gas and oil.

I think its a new product since its white, but I would guess the quick steel would be the same thing. I think on the web page the water weld is the offically recommended one for fuel tanks now. Could be all marketing haha. The only thing I found in research was that traditional JB weld(the two tubes) can no longer hold up long term to fuel. some chemist on a forum said its most likley the additives in fuel these days, but thats all I know.

I think the Water weld has been around for a while. I think I've seen it on the shelf for at least a few years.

Water weld has been around for a long time. I havent had good luck with the steel laced epoxy putty. Where JB weld would work great and hold up this stuff just likes to dry up and fall off after some time. IE I broke the grill of my 18 year old truck when I had to remove it this past summer. Figured id use the epoxy putty to glue it in spots. Damn stuff kept breaking! Broke out the JB weld and no more issues. I will say the epoxy putty did seal a crack in my radiator tank (plastic) well. Im sure the tank woulda been fine if I left it alone but I replaced it anyways.

As for water weld, if its gas resistant it might be worth it, JB weld is for awhile then stops working. IE punctured a hole in my ryobi weedwacker gas tank, sealed with JB and after about 2 weeks just came right off.

Does anyone carry tubes of RTV on them? Ive used it for several things before and been SUPER happy. IE: I hit my bed toolbox with my ATV hard once and it snapped the welds. Was leaking, so gray RTV to the rescue. Also have used RTV to seal all sorts of other things. O2 sensor BLEW out of the hole b/c whomever replaced it tack welded it to the exhaust tube (what was wrong with using perfectly good nuts on the studs IDK!). Used copper RTV and put it on with nuts no issues.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I carry Ultra Copper with me. I think I also have some black. I should post up my revised tool list, but I carry JB weld, JB kwik, JB steelstik, locktite, thread seal, super glue, a general all purpose adhesive in a tube, black rtv, ultra copper, Teflon tape, silicone tape, electrical tape, and gorilla tape.

Yep love me the copper one. I also like the gray one for areas that need high vibration resistance-use it on my trans pan The black is very good for sealing stuff up.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast