Thread: 870 Sling recommendations?

870 Sling recommendations?

I have a Remington 870 Marine Magnum that was passed down to me from my late step-grandfather (or whatever you would call him). It was purchased after the '92 LA riots, and has never been fired. She's a beaut!

She needs a few things, biggest thing is a sling. I would like to keep it simple, and pretty tacti-cool as well.

My Dad has one of these for his 870, but I'm not sold on it: http://www.amazon.com/Blackpowder-Pr...=shotgun+sling

I'm looking for something that is comfortable over the shoulder and durable. Maybe some loops for shells, but not necessary.

I don't think I've asked this question here before, if I have, sorry bout that.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

How much do you plan on lugging the gun around? Are you going to hunt with it? Or is it just an under the bed and home kind of thing? If you plan on hiking in, doing day hunts, etc I would consider one that has some padding. Depending on how you shoot the gun (aim) a bulky strap will get in the way.

I prefer simple and have a couple 1.25" nylon black strap slings on Uncle Mike swivels. The slings are GrovTec ( http://www.grovtec.com/products_slings.php ) and are light, quiet and cheap. They have a simple plastic slide so it's easy to tighten up or loosen. One of my local ranges doesn't allow rifle bags so a sling is nice to carry it in and helps if you've got more than one rifle. You can also carry the gun anywhere but the pistol range and having it on your shoulder or back is much easier than lugging it around. When I go to the forest I usually walk in somewhere so I'm out of the way and a sling is much easier than a bag.

At times I'll wrap my forearm in the sling or brace it. This helps at times especially when standing. My 10/22 has a bipod so if I'm using that the sling comes off so it doesn't matter what sling it is.

I'm still waiting for my Mossberg 930, it will not have a sling.