Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a vehicle operate after the air bags have been deployed or removed?

Will a vehicle operate after the air bags have been deployed or removed?

Airbags are standard safety equipment but I've always wondered if a vehicle would operate after they have been deployed. I assume for safety that they would not. I also assume this can be different for different cars and manufacturers.

What happens if an air bag goes off on a trail (roll over, pulling a Lance or slamming a rock) and you still need to get out? I'm assuming the vehicle is in decent working order, no fuel spilling, blah blah. Not to debate when and what causes the air bag to deploy, just if it happened.

We have a friend that was a brand new Honda Odyssey Elite Touring that was broken into. It has a massive hard drive/media center with surround sound, two rear screens (each capable of showing two movies at once), HDMI hook ups and wireless headphones. Some low life popped a window, disconnected the battery and removed the entire dash taking the media center, speakers, screens, the gauge cluster and the air bag(s). Their neighbors air bags were also stolen the same night.

Obviously there is some money in the items they took. I'm thinking the resale of these items might a little higher than a cut out catalytic converter. I'm considering getting a Club as my 4Runner spends it's life outside and a broken dash and stolen air bags would be a bigger hassle than I want to deal with.

My friend's mid 90's Maxima drove after he deployed the front airbags during some DUI shenanigans.

Dad's 08 Civic still drove after he was rear ended and the side curtain airbags deployed on the passenger side. It was enough to drag the right rear tire, which was forced into the forward edge of the wheel well, across 3 lanes and onto the shoulder. I don't know if it ever restarted.

I know there was a guy in a newer Tacoma who flopped it in DV. He set off the curtain airbags, but could not get it restarted, although I believe it was something to do with the engine, and not the SRS.

I know there are also fuel cutoff sensors. I don't think our 4Runners have one, but I'll have to look into it.

Clubs are an easy defeat, they will just cut the steering wheel to remove it.

My vote is for a good quality alarm, wired properly. Put the siren inside the cab, so it makes sitting in there unbearable, even for a minute.

I think our airbags are pretty worthless. My Honda, and I think my 4Runner, call for airbag inspection at 10 years and every 2 years after that. I wonder if ANYONE has ever done that?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I noticed on my visor it states to have it inspected at 10 and every 2 after that. I'd use the Club just as a visual deterrent. It's also something that may take them a bit longer to get through. I used one for years on my other vehicles and the Civic we used to own.

My parents used to have a '98 Explorer and it had a fuel shut off. They got it around the time I got my drivers license and I learned quickly where it was (from a AAA driver I had to call out). Apparently jumping the vehicle harshly or sliding on fast food trays while activating ABS would trip it. There was a small button on the passenger side foot well that would reset it.

I believe my 4Runner is old enough that it would probably drive, I hope. That would be best for completing a trip and/or sourcing a replacement if it were activated/stolen.

Club isnt worth a damn, less than a minute with a hacksaw and its gone. The brake lock is worth it, cant shift out of park with one unless you can work the linkage outside the vehicle.

If anything what will deter most crooks is well lit areas, Im talking spotlights on your stuff. Also it depends on where you live, anyone worth it wont be taking things like stereos and such. People who steal stuff like that are tweakers or kids.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I use a club as a visual deterrent. I figure a thief will choose a vehicle that will be less hassle. Less and less people can drive a manual transmission these days, so I think you're good!
    http://www.wcyb.com/news/stick-shift...z/-/index.html

The only cars I have come across that become inoperable are late model BMWs. I think 08 and up but not for certain. Any airbag deployment will blow out a fuse on the main battery cable which feeds the starter. The only way around it is to splice the cable or buy a new one.
    97 4runner Limited<br />2wd---&gt;4wd Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by iceman601 View Post
    The only cars I have come across that become inoperable are late model BMWs. I think 08 and up but not for certain. Any airbag deployment will blow out a fuse on the main battery cable which feeds the starter. The only way around it is to splice the cable or buy a new one.
    wow that sucks! good thing I don't have one of those cars!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Quote Originally Posted by iceman601 View Post
    Find said fuse and open it up, push contacts together. Course it is a BMW, so there could be ten more blown fuses or faults that wont let it start either. Did you know that on a BMW you have to register the battery when you install one? You have to have the dealer do it, need a special scanner. If you dont do it, the I drive system malfunctions and causes issues.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Looking through the FSM, I see nothing that would lead me to believe there is any type of immobilization after a deployment. You might have to disconnect the battery and reset the ECM, at the most.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Good to hear. Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast