Thread: Android app for music download

Android app for music download

Can anyone recommend a good Android app for downloading music? (No/low cost option is best.) The music on my iPod is stale and quite frankly, BT streaming from my phone is so much easier anyway.

I'm a huge fan of Pandora, and have honed many of my stations over the last 5 or 6 years, maybe longer. Works great except for off the grid trips. Then I use my usb stick full of my music, which is mostly OK still, some of it I am sick of though. Several people have recommended Spotify to me, but I have yet to try it out.

To buy songs, I use Amazon. They are (or were, it's been a while) just .mp3s, and you can put them anywhere, unlike iTunes. I believe them to be DRM free, but not sure. Price is comparable to iTunes, generally $0.99/song and some have an album price.

As for "free", there are always torrent sites, but that is illegal and you wouldn't do anything illegal. I belong to a couple that are invite only, and only for certain types of media that generally fall into grey areas. Don't ask for an invite because I don't have any.

Also, if you already have the CD's, rip them. Back in the day when I did my collection, I used CDEX, not sure if that is still around or even any good.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 03-06-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks Sean. I am happy with sat radio and the occasional streaming of Pandora in our commuter cars, but I need a completely new selection of downloaded music for off-grid trips in the 4Runner. I will shy away from torrents but I thought there was a way to download music for free via an app that was self-deleting after 3 months (or something like that). Or was that one of those free music download/diesel manual trans 4Runner/camping with Maria Sharapova dreams?

Those apps don't really exist anymore. Mp3 download is still around but gets bad reviews and I would be hesitant to put it on my phone. I have the old one and it still plays the songs I downloaded.

The only Legit (and trusted) sources I am aware of are the streaming radios, Sat radio, and iTunes and Amazon. In the past, I have bought used CDs for a very discounted price, then ripped them. It is time consuming, but usually the programs are pretty good at grabbing the tags and autocomplete the information fields well enough.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I use the Pandora premier thing. I haven't bought a CD in forever. Doesn't seem like there is a whole lot of good albums. Plenty of good songs though. Other than that I have an ancient zune HD 64gb that still is my backup when I have no signal.

smartphone spell check in effect
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Look into Google Play Music (android and ios). It looks like you can play a playlist offline, I'm guessing it caches it to your phone. I haven't done much research on it, but it looks like it might work for you.