Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FOA shock review real talk

SO disappointing.

What are your alternate choices for shocks now?

So what did they need? I know you needed the shafts rechromed (or new shafts), and they leaked, but it seems with some investigation, those seals could be tracked down outside of FOA? I know that is more work than you should have to put into a virtually new shock, but it might be your only chance at actually getting them working.

Besides the bad chrome, was the failure a workmanship issue or a material quality issue?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

If I can get them back fixed I'll have to stick with them since they are a custom length and worthless to sell used. If I get them back broken, I'll just sell them for parts. No way would I toss money at getting custom shafts machined or anything. I'd get soaked on the price and still have nothing valuable to show for it. Either way I'm headed out soon and the resolution maybe put off for awhile. If they were a good company I'd ask for my money back but that's far fetched seeing as I can't even get warrenty work done.

Sourcing the parts for future repairs may be possible through a race shop in the area. They have already told me they work on a lot of FOA's. Thats bound to be pricy but I've read of issues ordering simple shim stacks from FOA directly. Id rather not pull my hair out lol.
    Last edited by troyboy162; 04-20-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Oh and the chrome looks like a bad dipping. All the other issues are poor assembly of seemingly good parts

Damn that sucks. Money and time out and still nothing to show for it.

You mentioned selling for parts. Is this assuming you'll be getting something back DOA?

I really don't know what the outcome will be. I'd imagine I'll end up with fixed shocks at some point, but I can't get a tracking number now and have been lied to in the past. I figure I ought to plan for having to go retrieve the broken shocks from them.

What are your options for another brand of shock?

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

What Sean said.

Are FOA shocks what your LT kit requires/designed around? Or does it require shocks with numbers FOA claimed to achieve? Sounds like a talk with your local builders would be worth the time especially if they are interested in your business, unlike FOA.

The Kit is designed around 15" compressed shocks. FOA at 15.25" or ADS at 15" are the shops MCM sourced. In a pinch I could probably use any Total Chaos or Camburg speced shocks(sway away, Fox) since they are ~14.7" compressed.

If it comes down to me getting the repairs done I think I'd rather part out the FOA shocks and invest in another company. I'll look into some custom shafts, but I dont think I really want to put that much money into them. I still am assuming I'll get them back fixed or not and I dont feel thats 100% going to happen without alot of work on my end.

shocks came in today. They were shipped Monday and not last Thursday as was told to me by JD, "04/22/2014 4:30 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS". I also received a text late this afternoon telling me they were on the truck for delivery. This text came 5 minutes after I called asking to speak to the owner of FOA.

They extend all the way on there own like a shock should so that's nice. The shafts and/or bodys are a different length then last time as seen by the amount of shaft showing at full compression. They still measure ~15.25" and the truck cycles 13.5" so all is well. Would I buy them again or recommend them? No.

Hope you have better luck with this set.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast