Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Annual UY Mojave Road Expedition Trip Report

Tire wash

Last edited by 4x4mike; 07-02-2015 at 01:48 PM.

Last few from my cell phone.

The Avi

Good fun in the Avi parking lot

The kids didn't make it but I brought along a Jake and the Neverland Pirate kite. It was so windy at the end of Day 1 the kite could fly itself. I tied it off on a fence post but it had fallen by bedtime.

Things have been quite somber as my Grandmother passed away while on the drive home. Not like I wanted to drive any more this weekend but I made a trip towards the bay to clear my head a bit more. Hitched up the trailer and drove another 100 miles. Once out of town I got a check engine light and assumed it was a dirty MAF. Somehow thinking this could happen I threw a Toyota air filter in the back when I loaded the trailer. Side of the road food stop, MAF swap (spare) and filter change and I was back in business.

Last edited by 4x4mike; 07-02-2015 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks for the new avatar, Mike! Those were some great pictures you posted! I am looking at cameras now and dreaming!

So sorry to hear about your grandmother. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family. Sounds like she got to live a good life and much longer than most could ever hope for.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Going down

Nice I loved that spot when I first saw it! The trail into the horizon just looks like so much fun

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post

Those amber lights appear to provide excellent visibility, way more-so than my factory DRL's. I would like to replace my headlight DRLs with LEDs, but I think the spotty LEDs that are factory on almost everything now look terrible. I think Hyundai makes the best looking DRLs, with homogenous lighting all the way across.

Someday I will replicate it and make that my DRL.

Ken, that was originally their intent, as DRLs. I wired them through the parking lights, and they are pretty darn bright. I think I may wire my parking lights to the alternator signal so they are effectively DRL's, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

So, Mike, Stuart, Joe. How did you really like the trip? Be honest. Anything you thought wasn't worth the time to stop and see? Stuff that you wanted to see more of? You won't hurt my feelings.

The feedback helps me plan other trips. I know everyone likes different things, but it's always good to hear back from everyone about it. I am already working on next year's trip.

Also, Ken, that picture was taken with my strobes on. Mike just happened to catch it with both on at the same time, lucky shot!

Strobes. Does that mean you got the photo album? Or do you just remember where I took that picture? I'll shoot you a PM later this morning.

Both. Seems if I send the album to others, they can't access it. Picasa sharing rules I guess.

I'd like to see what you shot. I have my permissions set to limited to those with link for that album.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast