Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Monstaliner Twist

Man progress is slow on the fenders. Very tedious work marking the holes and double checking them. I am sealing each hole with gray gasket maker before I stick it to the panel. Making sure it's on there good and tight is quite a task. I'm working from the back to the front as the mudflaps in the back are the only parts that do not require any drilling.

98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Probably just need to move this over to a build thread because it's gone way beyond just doing the whole Monstaliner thing but in any case. I received my front diff in the mail as well as the pure A1A tint and all the studs and stuff I need to convert the rear axle. For now though the axle has been put on a little bit of a hold till I can roll enough dough together to do the front cv axles and get the rear axle service kits. Might as well get all that over with at one time.

Now on to progress. When I say the rear door was the hardest I really mean it. One side took me 4 hours of nudging, adjusting, and swearing to get straight. Front door was so easy I really did them in about 30 min apiece. Ran out of daylight otherwise I would still be out there.

Should finish up tomorrow.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Looks great!

I've often considered adding the Limited flares (not so much the door cladding), but I have a different idea in mind now.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

So in a moment of chagrin I discovered that the bumper pieces I acquired were for a 99 fat lip....so I am in the middle of adjusting fire. I think I have a cool idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Looks great!

I've often considered adding the Limited flares (not so much the door cladding), but I have a different idea in mind now.
    I will tell you this as fair warning. It will spike your blood pressure. However I am mostly pleased with the results minus one of the front fender pieces that is fubar'd. However the driver's side came out nicely and the bumper pieces needed no special treatment. They fit really well with only a small gap. I view them as front spoilers that will help keep my runner on the ground during high speed chases.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

And final results after going through and fudging stuff this way and that. I'm pretty happy with it and with a little paint it'll look really good.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Here's a pic of when I picked the truck up in Everett WA to show the real differences.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I am a big fan of fender flares on 4Runners. The look reminds me of the FJ80 Landcruisers that just about everyone on the planet thinks is a fabulous looking vehicle. The fender flares, whether they are the Limited-style, oversized SR5 fenders or the black Highlander flares, all make the 4Runner look much more rugged, IMHO.

I'm not super crazy on the look of the 80, but I do like the look of limited flares on the 4Runners.

For me, I have another option that I've been wanting to do forever, but never had the tool to do it. If everything goes to plan (plan Q at this point...), I might have it this summer, and that will be one of the first mods I do with it.

If not, I am going to look into the Limited flares and then fiberglass the parts that connect to the lower cladding. I'm not a huge fan of that, plus my passenger doors are all smashed up.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post

If not, I am going to look into the Limited flares and then fiberglass the parts that connect to the lower cladding. I'm not a huge fan of that, plus my passenger doors are all smashed up.
    It would probably be easier to find the standard SR5 flares. They look like the Limited flares only they lack the door cladding (like mine).

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast