Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Monstaliner Twist

Cool Monstaliner Twist

About ready to take the dive on this one. Should be ordering in the next week or so and then it's off to the hobby shop to prep and spray the 4runner. Due to being stationed out in the middle of the desert (right below Mojave preserve) my paint has been destroyed by sand and sun. I have sprayed the RaptorLiner by UPOL before and was fairly pleased but then someone recommended Monstaliner to me. The whole 4runner is going to Monstaliner. Monstaliner is more flexible than Raptor when dry imo and supposedly more UV resistant. At the same time I am steam cleaning the underside of the 4runner and spraying chassis saver on everything that doesn't rotate or heat up. Also at the same time I will be applying the Limited flares to the sides of my 4runner.

The best part about all of this? I found a company that will ship my stock color from Toyota with no binders!!! That means no engine bay, door sills, or any other part that I would usually have to do detail work on. The fenders are getting painted Monstaliner's Killer Beej color as well as the bumpers. To top it all off I will also be tossing in a Satoshi grill at the end. I will be doing a writeup of the entire thing as it comes along. Complete cost I am estimating at $650 or so to include masking materials, sandpaper, paint, monstaliner, chassis paint, and time at the hobby shop. Hopefully I can persuade BattleWagonActual to join in the fun for masking. I've done that once before by myself and it is no fun.

Price isn't bad. Are you spraying it yourself?

Really curious to see how it looks and holds up. Might want to do the trailer in this, and maybe the lower half of the door panels.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I can highly recommend it even before I spray this stuff. I got their samples in the mail and this is some tough junk. Definitely flexible. Samples come on cardstock and you can bend it around and it doesn't crack. I understand your hesitation though. I trust this stuff and I'm nervous about spraying the roof and gettting an even coat down.

If you do decide to go with something other than this monstaliner stuff or raptor stay away from herculiner (fades horribly) duplicolor's stuff, and whatever is sold cheaply. I think Raptor comes in at like 100 a gallon and a little over that for tintable stuff. You can't roll Raptor though. It won't come out right.

Yep I do my own spraying. Best rule of thumb is higher pressure = smoother texture. I will make sure I take some pics with the real camera instead of the phone. I honestly think it will take me at least a day to prep and sand. The spraying will be done in about 30 minutes. The only "bad" part about this stuff is that part of the drying process is a little bit of humidity. I might actually have to mist this stuff after letting it sit for a while. I don't think we've had humidity over 10% in a while. If I can get my neighbor out there to assist I might even film a piece of it.

So a few more details. I've been collecting junk for the past couple of months with this in mind so I'm tossing together a budget of sorts for everything I'm going to do in 5 days of no work. The 99 Tall Springs kind of sprung up out of nowhere and I jumped on them.

99 "Talls" $140

Limited Fenders: $185
    Limited fenders and door molding $75
    3m VHB adhesive tape 15yd $35
    Plastic Body molding rivets $5
    Monstaliner tintable quart $50
    "Killer Beej" pigment $20

Satoshi Grill Mod: $25
    TRD Symbol off Ebay $10
    Gutter Grill $10

4runner rustproof/paint: $427
    3m Green tape 2 rolls x60yd $15
    3m masking plastic 12'x400' $24
    1a1 Toyota Anthracite 16oz pigment $90
    2 Gal Monstaliner kit $258
    1 qt Chassis Saver $40
    Shultz Gun $60

General Stuff Needed: $35
    3m organic filters 6001 $10
    3m pre-filters $10
    Plastic Gloves $5
    1 qt MEK $10

So a little over $812 for total cost which I think is pretty decent considering the amount of work that I am doing. The only item that surprised me was the 1a1 pigment. It was a special order though and I really really don't want to do door sills. Currently the wife is chasing me around with a butcher knife so I will update when I start making orders. I hope to have the fenders drilled but not installed when ready to do the deed. Maybe I will even have the springs in too but we shall see.

A couple of updates. I tried to get the paint ordered today but a strange thing happened on the way. I found this in a salvage yard a little while ago and this time I dragged it home to be built. My only small issue is that it is an ABS axle while I do not have an ABS axle. Thinking of doing the chilkat manual lever but it might be easier to come up with the wiring harness too with the button. We will see.

Funding has been brought on by the sale of this item which honestly is too much with the family additions.

If you need a wiring harness, I still make them. Complete stand alone kits. I also have just the axle end if you are more interested in building one yourself.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    If you need a wiring harness, I still make them. Complete stand alone kits. I also have just the axle end if you are more interested in building one yourself.
    I may be interested. I will have the locker and gearset in hand tomorrow and I will make a decision then. I appreciate the offer though. This is something I haven't pulled off before so help/advice is awesome. I figure the hardest part is going to be finding 4.30 gears for the front that are in the case.....or replacing the gears. Never done ifs front drivetrains before either. I know for a fact that I have 4.10 gears front and rear though. I did the research on that.

Tomorrow I will try to convince the wife to let me go sandblast the new springs and the axle housing so that I can paint them with por-15 while they are all disassembled.

Another piece of the puzzle came today thanks to BattleWagonActual who scored a locker for me for $250!! It's in good condition with no play and smooth operation. Unknown miles but they have to have less than my 247k lol. Add that to the $100 I paid for the axle tube and a total of $350 for an almost complete axle that I can build with my rear axle is not too bad. Ordering new seals and stuff tonight in celebration lol.

Great deal on the locker!

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Great deal on the locker!
    I couldn't agree more! Considering there is a couple of flies in the ointment.

#1 I have an ABS elocker housing....but my truck isn't ABS so I have to fabricate a spacer for the axle shafts to work as they should (but it's possible). I am still looking for pics but unless I find something that says they have to be exact I'm going to find some 3" exhaust piping and cut it to the size I need.
    #2 My all assuming butt thought that rear axle kits were $65 bucks for both sides. I was wrong so the wife was unhappy about that.
    #3 I had a ton of extra work as the hobby shop won't let me beadblast painted items so currently I am working on the axle to get it ready for POR-15

The bright side of things is that the axle housing is in great shape. I didn't see anything that is going to be a problem. Just a few knicks on the end of the axle on one side. Very little rust as you can see and none of the studs are stripped either. Now I'm still shopping for a 4.30 front end so that I can just drop my case and install a new one (is that how the 7.5" works?)

Monstaliner is getting a call tomorrow for their piece of the pie. The LED lights from Volt are on their way. I went with the 7.5" bar and the 2 pods. I'm crossing my fingers but I'm going to try and stuff the 6.5" bar behind the satoshi grill if it is remotely possible. I am admittedly a little out of budget on this whole thing but I sold the truck I rebuilt from a wreck so I feel like a good project is in order.

In other slight news I found that I should have an easy time with the fenders. Most of them line up with a feature on the body so making sure that they are exactly in place shouldn't be as hard as previously thought. I found the plastic thingamajigs and I have lots of VHB tape. I also found the darn front bumper pieces pretty close by. I'm getting excited for a lot of this work.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast