Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Monstaliner Twist

The action starts tomorrow!! I'm on leave and taking stuff in general off the 4runner to make it faster to mask and paint. The first day will be the undercoating though and then we will see how far I get on sanding and masking. Thursday and friday will be monstaliner days with the last day being the spring install. That will finish off this thread and I will be moving on to the whole drivetrain next. I have a few more questions when it comes to that as I don't have a whole lot of experience. I learn one repair/mod at a time and that has served me pretty well.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Well not a whole lot to tell honestly but the springs are done and the undercarriage is all clean so now I can see where I need to paint with the chassis saver. I'm going to hit as much of the frame as I can anyway but I wanted to see what kind of shape the undercarriage was in before I started just painting carte blanche. Everything was still drying as dusk was approaching so I waved the white flag for today.

Now I've got a reverse rake because of the 99 v6 springs when I've got a 4 banger lol. I suppose I could lift the rear with a spacer just to make it look a little more normal but I did get lift in the rear as well.

BEFORE:

AFTER:
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

It's looking real good. I like seeing the dedication and time you're giving your 4Runner.

I appreciate it. It's a lot of fun working on her however I think after these projects are finished I should leave her alone for a while. Otherwise my 4runner might not have an owner lol.

I ordered some polyurethane bushings for the sway bars and steering rack. They have been simply demolished by years in the desert. We might not have rust here but rubber gets destroyed by sand and sun.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

HOLY COW this stuff is hard to get off!!!! I look like a freakin dalmation. This morning I inspected the frame and then proceeded to de-grease/final clean the frame and rinse it once more as there was still dirt in some spots. First time really using Marine Clean (yes that's the name) and man does it live up to it's name. I don't recommend getting it on your skin as it burns. Here are the frame after Marine Clean shots. My frame is in spectacular condition imo.

If you have access to a lift I would highly suggest you use it....or if your 4r is high enough for you to maneuver under that should be good enough. Mine isn't lol. This paint is thick and goopy. Perfect for brush application as you can lay it on fairly quickly with a little work. Fills little holes nicely and stays put so you're not getting dripped on all the time.

First Coat: There's a second coat coming but I will do it at the shop where I can lift the runner up a little more.

There's a lot of the frame that I couldn't really access either because it was on the ground or just because the truck is completely together. My goal is to get the high impact areas that are exposed. Maybe someday I can lift the body off and do an awesome job but it's not going to be this time.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 04-24-2014 at 08:27 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

If you plan on doing a bedliner exterior inviting friends and having some beer ready for them would be a great idea. My arms are SMOKED. All of the sanding/scuffing is done so tomorrow I just have to check the tape, wipe it down with acetone, tack cloth it, spray the primary color, and then roll the fenders out. Here are some progress pics I took when I was taking a break.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I would say I have pics tonight.....but I don't. My phone died while I was painting but tomorrow the 4runner comes home amd I will tell my tales of lore from the world of the hobby shop.

stamped and snail mailed
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I think it is coming out pretty well. I'm letting everything cure before I tape off for the fenders. Here are the action shots and some follow up. I ended up spraying in a rather privaledged area due to high winds tearing through the area. Next up will be the fender prep and rolling. Monstaliner is super easy to spray. The texture can be smoothed out a bit with air pressure. I achieved a fairly smooth texture imo.

This is what it looks like in the can.

After color and catalyst.

First coat.

And that's where my phone died. This morning after 4 coats.

and the driveway for a before/after comparison.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    And final results after going through and fudging stuff this way and that. I'm pretty happy with it and with a little paint it'll look really good.

I applaud you sir, I went the lazy route and I stuck my limited flares on with Black RTV....
    Maybe one of these days, If I ever get a new drivers door, I will probably install them the right day, but yours look awesome!

HOLY COW this stuff is hard to get off!!!! I look like a freakin dalmation. This morning I inspected the frame and then proceeded to de-grease/final clean the frame and rinse it once more as there was still dirt in some spots. First time really using Marine Clean (yes that's the name) and man does it live up to it's name. I don't recommend getting it on your skin as it burns. Here are the frame after Marine Clean shots. My frame is in spectacular condition imo.

Looks Good, I have to go over mine again this summer, Glad to see and Anthracite Metallic 4Runner getting some love!

Looking Good! I like How it turned out, doesn't look too think but still looks like it can take a good beating!

I love seeing projects like this, Hopefully I can start out myself soon, this is inspiration!

Texture looks great! I can't wait to see it in person. Might be a good option for my trailer.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast