Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Monstaliner Twist

Here is my write up: http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthre...ocker-retrofit

I have ABS but understand your upcoming challenge. I'd stop into a parts store and pick their brain. I assume the ABS/non ABS axle shafts are the same lengths but you need to make sure. I had to replace my axle bearings at one time and it required the replacement of some axle seals, ABS ring and spacers. I didn't get to far online or at the dealer but my local CarQuest was on top of it. They had the diagrams and measurements I was after. Since you have the ABS housing perhaps all you need is the ABS ring pressed onto the shaft. The ring will fit in the housing but you need to make sure the entire thing will fit in the housing.

I thought I had some pictures but all I found was a crappy photobucket video. It shows what is at the end of the shaft, behind the backing plate.

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/meza...07210.mp4.html
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 04-07-2014 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Here is my write up: http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthre...ocker-retrofit

I have ABS but understand your upcoming challenge. I'd stop into a parts store and pick their brain. I assume the ABS/non ABS axle shafts are the same lengths but you need to make sure. I had to replace my axle bearings at one time and it required the replacement of some axle seals, ABS ring and spacers. I didn't get to far online or at the dealer but my local CarQuest was on top of it. They had the diagrams and measurements I was after. Since you have the ABS housing perhaps all you need is the ABS ring pressed onto the shaft. The ring will fit in the housing but you need to make sure the entire thing will fit in the housing.

I thought I had some pictures but all I found was a crappy photobucket video. It shows what is at the end of the shaft, behind the backing plate.

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/meza...07210.mp4.html
    You hit the nail on the head without even trying. I changed my search parameters in google and found a new thread on 4runner.org that confirmed my suspicions that the ring gear was just pressed onto the axle shaft. Now here is the elephant in the room so to speak. Can I just use the ABS axle seals with my Non Abs shaft....and build it up the same as if it were an ABS axle just without the rings on the axle shafts....

I also read through your write-up. I'm kind of tempted to just mod my axle housing as I have access to everything I would need as far as tools. That way I could sell the housing off on my neighbor (who has ABS but no e-locker) or someone else that needs a really clean elocker housing. I did a little more work today and I will be finishing up the coats tomorrow with the POR-15.

Cleaned and prepped:

1st and 2nd coat:

More parts are showing up at my door! I checked on the axle today and that POR-15 is pretty smooth stuff. I'm going to do 2 more coats probably and call it a day. The lights from Volt showed up today and from what I have observed they seem very well made. I won't be able to mount them up for a little while but I am taking leave soon to accomplish all the work I have before me.

Also I finished with the POR-15. The coats after the 1st one are pretty easy to apply and the desert causes it to tack up pretty quickly. I'm thinking of painting the springs fire engine red just to make them look pretty for a couple months.

Also wanted to add for people viewing this that both Volt LED and Magnet Paints (Monstaliner) provided me with a veteran's discount. Volt was a 10% off the top and Magnet was free shipping (on a 28lbs order....a lot). I appreciate both company's gratitude and wanted to give them a thumbs up for it. Enterprises that support or give veterans a discount are growing smaller it seems so I remember and recommend such companies.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 04-08-2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Added more

Talking Late Night Ramblings

For starters I'm getting to the E-locker....but it's farther down on the list (and yes Sean I am interested in the pigtail control....just working on funds). I'm beginning to work on the body and since I needed a small project before I start drilling holes in the side of my truck(that's gonna peak my blood pressure for sure) I decided to work on the satoshi mod....with a twist.

Used the Dremel for the slice and dice:

Did the zip ties a little differently and fitted the mesh:

Got the filler in place and sanded it back down to where I wanted it:

Then I remembered a trick that I used when I messed with fiberglass in the car audio world. It's called a milkshake and it's 60/40 filler to fiberglass. The great part about it is the self leveling so you can paint it with a brush. Once it self levels it stays that way because the filler dries before the fiberglass holding the glass in place till the resin sets. Caution....if you mess with fiberglass do it in an open area or wear a mask for pete's sake. That stuff will land you on the moon if you breathe it in. This is what it looks like:

And this is what the results are. A reall smooth and sandable (kinda...you have to work at it) area that is nearly ready for paint. Just need to rough it up a bit. Tomorrow I will have final pics along with install.

The only other thing I settled was how I was going to install those led lights. I ended up scoring a set of hella fogs to go along with it for 20 bucks to add to the doggy pile of lights. Since I do not have an aftermarket bumper in the mail I decided on eliminating the middle bar of the valence and installing the lights there. Since there is not enough support for the lights I have a buddy who will help me fab a "light bar" down there and it will help steady the lights on the road. Any reason that's a bad spot?? I know it's good for the fogs but I have never worked with spot or flood beams so advice is very welcome. I took a pic to give you an idea of what will go down.

Cool. I'll look for the parts tomorrow and be ready to start when I hear from you.

Grill looks good. I want to redo mine some day, it's showing it's age.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

In the middle of trying to make the grill look perfect with sanding I realized that in about a week I will be painting it with bedliner....so the perfect idea flew out the window lol. I think it came out well though despite the rough cut appearance.

Now on to the fender flares..

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Cool. I'll look for the parts tomorrow and be ready to start when I hear from you.

Grill looks good. I want to redo mine some day, it's showing it's age.
    Thanks. It's probably going to be the beginning of May honestly for the controller. I've got to get the axle ready and receive my front diff in the mail. I'm going to be running around to salvage yards trying to pick up parts for rear disc brakes. I think the benefit outweighs the cost at this point since I have time to build the axle.

Parts are starting to fall off the truck in prep for painting. I found out last night that mek is outlawed in California....so that makes my job harder. The window visors were the worst. Thank God I am painting because the adhesive tape has been baked on. Goo Gone wasn't penetrating at all so I ended up just breaking them and scraping a lot of paint.
    Picked up the rest of the supplies needed for now which included some 5qt buckets, graduated measuring cups, epoxy, and some stainless steel hardware for the fenders. I was going to try to install all the fenders at once but now I think I will do one a day or so. There's lots of prep and fitting before sticking them on there. Gonna try one tonight and see how it goes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Mek equilivent is now industrial coating remover or something like that.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I got some tsp as well as the acetone so I should be able to make it all work. I'm starting to get excited over all of this. I put in leave for next week to get uninturrupted time to finish.

For attaching the fenders I am using two bolts through the skin of the vehicle and then Toyota plastic fasteners and 3m tape everywhere else. Not exactly stock but should be enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast