Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Monstaliner Twist

The texture is pretty rough honestly as far as feel goes. It's definitely grippy but it looks pretty smooth? Not sure if that makes sense but I am DONE!! Here's the eye candy lol. Tips and tricks down at the bottom as well as one disappointing fact.

and a comparison pic because I just realized there are 5 pages of posts now.

Tips and Tricks:
    1. Do get a two gallon kit. Our 4runners will take almost two gallons and with beefing up the underside a little or tossing additional on the front you can eat up the two gallons.

2. Spray if possible. I know they preach this is a roll on kit and it is probably the best roll on look out there....spraying is still king. You can see in the pics what the spray looks like and then what the roll on looks like. They end up about the same thickness if you ask me. I sprayed at 85psi to achieve that finish. I rather like it.

3. If you are spraying clean the power mixer attachment in between gallons. I didn't and what was a flawless finish turned into bigger globs every now and then shooting from the gun.

4. A gallon kit goes a long long way. I was able to coat the entire 4runner plus some with a gallon. However subsequent coats will be needed so order accordingly. The stuff is really good but it's not really cheap.

5. Make sure you have a respirator. Even if you are spraying/rolling outside this stuff will still make you loopy while applying it.

6. Acetone or MEK....make sure you have at least one qt. I recommend two. If it gets on your clothes....they are f'd....your skin....it takes a few days to come off if you don't get it off with acetone or MEK. Soap does nothing to this stuff.

7. Go ahead and get a quart of Chassis Saver. It's good stuff and while you're coated in bedliner....why not add to the mess?

8. The misting thing is a mystery to me too....but it works. I used a garden hose and nozzle not pointed at the truck so it was like a nice gentle rain. It hardened it up in the desert quite nicely. Tonight I will be misting the fenders so I can drive my beauty tomorrow.

9. Before you do this 3 days before a trail.....the paint takes 7 days to cure. Just FYI.

10. Take your time. The pot life on this stuff is pretty amazing. Roll or spray slowly. Quality over quantity.

11. Use quality tape. I had bleeding when I did the fenders. However that could be from the uneven surface of the monstaliner too.

12. Beer might be required to get up the courage to take a scouring pad to your 4runner. After the fenders and doing this I am sure I will die 5 years sooner.

13. This stuff takes concentration and is very detailed to do a solid job. Don't shortcut anything and you will be happy with the results.

14. If you have any drilling of your panels to do....do it before. This stuff dries hard as nails.

15. If you can bribe a friend to help this is a good thing. Ideas and extra eyes help a lot. BattleWagon was helping me out here and there. Getting Acetone delivered while in a paint booth is a tall order lol. He also gave me the idea to do the door sills. So big thanks to him. Otherwise I would have been SOL for a bit.

16. If you're unsure about the amount give these guys a call. They were so helpful my wife was able to make the order for me since I was on the range every day that week.

The disappointing fact is that Monstaliner does not stick to rubber very well. If you're thinking this would be a good thing you're right if you are talking about tires. I was trying to apply it over those little rubber bits on the limited flares lol. Just use caution and you can still get it done.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

that looks really really good i dont like the fenders personally but the whole truck looks good
    i sell cars to soon to ever work on them

Thanks! I am happy with the result but I am kind of surprised at the reactions I get from strangers lol. Most of them start with a single question....is that bedliner? Yep.....then some strange face. Its my truck.

The way I figure it the idea makes more sense than vinyl or maaco. I beat the cost of either pretty well and the finish is way tougher and protective than either. Plus no more waxing, no more chips from rocks, and no more scratches and dents from careless parkers. Done deal.

stamped and snail mailed
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I applaud all the hard work. I like the fact you've ended up with something you wanted and is suited for your needs. I can't go on a trip without getting scratched and chipped.

What's it look like in places like door jambs? I assume you sprayed with the doors closed and the doors cover those little areas. Is it a reasonable transition? Another question is weight. I know guys always scoff and say bedlining a vehicle adds 100's of pounds to it. Do you think this is the case for you?

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    I applaud all the hard work. I like the fact you've ended up with something you wanted and is suited for your needs. I can't go on a trip without getting scratched and chipped.

What's it look like in places like door jambs? I assume you sprayed with the doors closed and the doors cover those little areas. Is it a reasonable transition? Another question is weight. I know guys always scoff and say bedlining a vehicle adds 100's of pounds to it. Do you think this is the case for you?
    Its a fairly reasonable transition. Some got in but not a whole lot. I did intentionally paint the step area to increase durability with muddy boots and such. I will snap a couple of pics so you can see how much got in.

I know the bedliner added weight however it wasn't nearly 100s of pounds. What it did do (uninteded improvement) was quiet the truck down but a good amount. The body panels sound very solid when you knock on them. Rough estimate would be maybe 30lbs of actual added weight. The material has to dry which takes weight away but Monstaliner cures with humidity so there has to be some weight added back in for the chemical curing process.

I will say there is a drawback for a couple of days is the smell. When you get within 6ft or so you can smell the material curing fairly strongly and you can smell it in the cab too. Monstaliner says it takes 7 days to cure fully but I am pretty sure it has cured here in the socal desert already. I mist it every day a couple of times and the curing smell has decreased every day. Also the texture has changed from a grippy texture to a plastic like texture. I imagine this stuff is a poly of some sort. There were no rubber chunks in the mixture. The texture is created from a chemical process with a hardener.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Here are the pics where a little bit of the spray got into the door jambs. You could easily hand paint Monstaliner in there if you wished but it would definitely add to the project time. If you get this stuff on anything you don't want it on it's hard to get off wet but impossible to get off dry.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Being one who's actually seen the results in person, I must say the pics don't do it justice. Everyday I walk outside I see the finished product, since Kryptoroxx is literally my next door neighbor, and everyday it makes me want to fast forward and do mine already. But seeing as I have a newborn and a wife that's telling me my projects are on hold for the moment it might be a little bit before I can do this project.

To those that say this adds so much weight, I don't see how it can. It's two gallons of paint and a little tiny can of catalyst probably no more than 20-30lbs for the whole kit. Like he said it will lose some to the chemicals seeping out during curing, but seeing as how it needs moisture to cure, I'm fairly certain it breaks about even with its canned weight. I think a lot of people are comparing it to some of the other brands, most of whom used rubber chunks in their paint to make the uneven "bed liner" look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: 97 4runner Sr5, 5spd, 4wd... Awaiting wife's approval to start wrenching

Past: 88 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360, 4wd R.I.P.

I don't buy the crazy claims of increased weight either. Especially considering the sound deadening qualities. I wonder how many pounds of dynamat these guys have in their truck, how many pounds of particle board that make up their sub boxes, etc, but they complain about a couple of gallons of paint.

As for the watering, the Urethane requires the moisture to cure. I don't think you are adding much in the way of weight to it.

I like the idea of the coating, but I don't think I would want it over the entirety of my truck. I think something like the lower 1/4, basically duplicating the lines of the limited flares and cladding, would be my choice. I do like the two tone, always had a soft spot for two tone paint jobs.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I completely understand that doing the entire truck isn't for everyone. But seeing as mine is a solid black with a few paint chips up high, I might as well do everything in one swipe, especially if there's some added benefits. One little addition I plan on doing though is picking up a spray can of their red and taking my time to tape off a TRD on the usual rear panel spot but painted in, rather than decal. It'll be unique and for once I won't feel like I'm the one copying my neighbor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: 97 4runner Sr5, 5spd, 4wd... Awaiting wife's approval to start wrenching

Past: 88 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360, 4wd R.I.P.

I like that idea. If done right, it will be really cool!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast