Thread: How are you guys cleaning your reusable air filters?

How are you guys cleaning your reusable air filters?

I run a True Flow in the 4Runner and more and more it seems like I'm having MAF issues. I'm pretty sure it's not a re-oiling issue because the front is sticky as all get out and there isn't any oil in the intake tube or bottom of the box. I've been out of the True Flow cleaner for years and just use Simple Green and dish soap. I still have a lot of True Flow oil so I use it.

At the end or within a day or two of a dusty trip I get a CEL for a dirty MAF. I've since purchased a second MAF so I won't be stranded but I'm wondering if it's the True Flow and maybe it not getting clean enough? The second MAF also rules out a faulty one unless they are both meh. I doubt it though because I go more than a year before cleaning them, just to clean them.

This picture is the pan I've left it soaking in. Prior to putting the filter in I shook it out (nothing ever falls off or out BTW) and rinsed it from the back side with warm water from the sink spray nozzle (wife is away for the night).

It's kind of hard to see but there is a ton of fine dirt and sand in the pan. I got it out by pushing the filter in and out of the water lightly for a couple of minutes. I figure the warm water and tons of soap loosened up the oil and released the dirt? I usually clean the filter in a bucket so I don't necessarily see what comes out.

I'm currently soaking it again. I already gave it some pushes through the water and more fines have already come out.

Do any of you have this much dirt coming out? I may have had double the amount, some leaving from draining the water and the initial rinse.

I now use a paper filter since true flow went belly up. I never get a maf cel, and usually hang on to the filter for a year or two, knocking the dirt out and blowing it out with compressed air. The snorkel helps some.

I have a true flow in a box. I know Ken tracked down a similar oil or the like to apply to it. What is the recommended solvent for that oil? I really believe those filters need to be super clean to both effectively filter and to maintain flow. If it's like the k&n filters, once they get dirty, they start passing dust in the name of maintaining flow.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

As linked above, I'm using Fab1 cleaner and oil, which is designed for offroad motorcycle filters that are made exactly like our TrueFlows. The Fab1 is tackier than the Trueflow oil, which I think is a good thing. BruceTS used to swear by oiled filters offroad and seemed to think it filtered dirt and dust better than a paper filter, and there are videos like THIS that are pretty convincing in favor of the TrueFlow.

The 99+ MAFs are different from previous models. The earlier MAFs are more restrictive but seem less vulnerable to dirt and causing a CEL. I was getting dirt through a bad MAF gasket, but haven't been able to determine whether or not that was allowing the dirt in. I would be curious to know which filter does a better job of filtering--an oiled TrueFlow or the new oil-less AFEs.

I got a ton of dirt out of my filter and there is never any dirt or oil past it so I think it is doing its job. My main question was how people are cleaning them. I have a factory oiling kit so I'm good there.

I can't upload the pic on mobile but I use fab1 filter cleaner by maxima products
    Last edited by paddlenbike; 03-22-2014 at 08:07 PM.

I think I will try that fab1 stuff. Main thing is the cleaner. Soaking in gasoline is not my idea of a good way to clean something.

For TrueFlow filter, the Unifilter cleaner is a good kit. Just spray on and let sit for a few minutes then rinse with water.