I run a True Flow in the 4Runner and more and more it seems like I'm having MAF issues. I'm pretty sure it's not a re-oiling issue because the front is sticky as all get out and there isn't any oil in the intake tube or bottom of the box. I've been out of the True Flow cleaner for years and just use Simple Green and dish soap. I still have a lot of True Flow oil so I use it.

At the end or within a day or two of a dusty trip I get a CEL for a dirty MAF. I've since purchased a second MAF so I won't be stranded but I'm wondering if it's the True Flow and maybe it not getting clean enough? The second MAF also rules out a faulty one unless they are both meh. I doubt it though because I go more than a year before cleaning them, just to clean them.

This picture is the pan I've left it soaking in. Prior to putting the filter in I shook it out (nothing ever falls off or out BTW) and rinsed it from the back side with warm water from the sink spray nozzle (wife is away for the night).

It's kind of hard to see but there is a ton of fine dirt and sand in the pan. I got it out by pushing the filter in and out of the water lightly for a couple of minutes. I figure the warm water and tons of soap loosened up the oil and released the dirt? I usually clean the filter in a bucket so I don't necessarily see what comes out.

I'm currently soaking it again. I already gave it some pushes through the water and more fines have already come out.

Do any of you have this much dirt coming out? I may have had double the amount, some leaving from draining the water and the initial rinse.