Thread: Interest in Field repair guides and survial guides?

Interest in Field repair guides and survial guides?

This is something I've always wanted to do.

Would you guys be interested in field repair and operation guides? My idea was a quick guide on, for example, replacing a broken front axle. Step by step instructions, along with tips and tricks to make a field repair easier. Also, torque specs and ways to approximate those torques without a torque wrench.

I was also thinking of field repair guides for common camping equipment, zippers, etc. Also survival guides, how to find water, build shelter.

They would be super easy to read, basic illustrations. I'm thinking around 11"x17" and either folded or rolled up in a crush proof tube.

So what do you think? Do these types of things interest you? if so, how much would you be willing to pay for each topic?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

These types of things are very interesting to me. In most instances they are documented though. Some are in books, guides, write ups, etc. The internet is a great tool and place to learn and it would be one of your biggest competitors. Perhaps your best bet would be to tackle items that aren't yet covered or improve on some that already exist. Another thing to consider is your audience. I think most of the the people that would be willing to pay for something like this would be the novice crowd. The more time you spend offroad, camping, exploring, etc the more experience you have and the less you need such a product.

In the scheme of things it seems like a large task to take on but that's just me.

I've always liked reading about when people buy a new rig. In our Toyota world use 3rd gens. I know there are many posts online about what to look for when buying a 3rd gen but maybe a little guide someone could bring with them when looking at a potential purchase would be cool. Common problems, common fixes (the good ones and bad ones and how to spot them), as well as a ball park value. Without giving dollar amounts, rather percentages for example, what certain mods add or subtract to a buying price. What items to leverage and what to glance over.

Another write up could be focused on base lining a new purchase. Focused on a certain mileages what items need to be replaced or serviced. Using a style similar to Bob's, all the maintenance items like fluids, etc.

They would be geared toward the novice, especially on the vehicle service ones. Stuff like survival and first aid would be good to have in the event a well trained individual needs care. A "how to use a compass" would be useful for myself, as that is a skill I don't possess, and if I learned it, I would use it so infrequently, I would likely forget. It would be part of a larger "Navigating in the wilderness" page, or something along those lines.

For the amount of work that will go into these, they would be sold. I am thinking 5-10 dollars for a page, depending on what it is and the size we choose.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Five to ten dollars sounds like it would be appropriate for something that would take that amount of time. Personally it puts it at a price that it would have to be something very useful and something I don't already have. For example the first aid book that came with my first aid kit, or the instructions that came with my compass, etc.

I think you need to find little niches to document. In a simple search on what to look for when buying a third gen I found this: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ers-guide.html

I didn't know it existed but damn, it looks really useful.

This also popped up: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...reference.html

As time passes picture links go dead and if you don't have cell service on the trail you'll be stuck but the information is already out there. You'd need to find the people that actually want to buy this info in print form.

This guy had a great idea last year. It seems like it would be a lot of work but he had an idea I was very interested in. I'm not sure how far or where he got with it so I need to look into that.
    http://www.toyota-4runner.org/1494871-post1.html

That's sort of what I am after. A basic guide to field diagnosis and repair.

I think I will draw one up and send it to some of you. If it works out then I will work with a printer to produce them. I love doing free stuff for you guys, but at some point I need to start making money off of my hard work!

^Cool.

I'm not an expert at anything but would donate my time to being a second set of eyes for your project. I can also take better photos of stuff I encounter. Tonight might be a TPS diagnosis followed by a TPS replacement, new part is sitting on my doorstep.

There used to be a company named tufmaps that had a site at tufmaps.com (gone). A lot of the organized bikes rides I did included maps printed by this company. They used a 'paper' that was waterproof and doesn't tear which was key when the map was a necessary item and was usually stuffed in a sweaty pocket or jersey, exposed to the rain and needed to stay in one piece. I'd look into something like that. It could be thrown in a glove box, toolbag, etc.

That's what I'm looking into. I think 2 sided printed 8.5x11 or 11x17 with somewhat detailed illustrations would work best. Either a map type fold or rolled into a plastic tube. I found several distributors of the paper, just need to do some tests with different printers and inks, or find a company that can produce it for a reasonable rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    They would be geared toward the novice, especially on the vehicle service ones. Stuff like survival and first aid would be good to have in the event a well trained individual needs care. A "how to use a compass" would be useful for myself, as that is a skill I don't possess, and if I learned it, I would use it so infrequently, I would likely forget. It would be part of a larger "Navigating in the wilderness" page, or something along those lines.

For the amount of work that will go into these, they would be sold. I am thinking 5-10 dollars for a page, depending on what it is and the size we choose.
    Just remember to put the note in to NOT use a compass inside a vehicle lol. Believe it or not all the metal surrounding you throws your heading off by a couple of degrees. Another thought would be how to use a coordinate system for maps that are equipped with such a feature. You can't get lost (well you can but it's harder) if you have a good compass and map with protractor. If you have questions feel free to knock my head about. Good idea though. Kinda falls into the bug out bag realm.

I think I am really aiming for documenting knowledge that most of us probably already have, but is useful to have it written down and for the novice. Having survival instructions printed are a pretty good idea when the SHTF.

I like this idea a lot especially if you can make it applicable to newer vehicles (and drivers) as well as the veterans. They remind me of kill cards for everyone in the military. It had all the information needed medically for the doc to take care of you if you were freaking out, unconscious, or otherwise incapacitated.

stamped and snail mailed
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf