Thread: fleabay LED lightbar

fleabay LED lightbar

One of the stages at the Olympus Rally at the end of May in Shelton, WA is 27 miles long (which is pretty damn long) and the first run of it is at night, so it was a perfect excuse to spend a bit (but not much) on some more lighting. My aircraft spots work great for distance, but I've been wondering about the ebay LED light bars for awhile, so I got a 126W 20" wide bar to fit my bumper. The outer 12 LEDs are flood, the rest are spot. It supposedly uses Cree LEDs (but I haven't taken it apart yet to check) and it does have a polycarbonate lens. I like the bottom mounts because it means I could melt on some light tabs that could be reused for other type lights if I change my mind later. Cost was just over $100. I might take it apart before the rally just to make sure it's sealed properly and that there's enough thermal paste in there (hybrid controller recall at work means there's a ton of quality paste to be had for free)

For now, I've disconnected the aircraft spot beams and am using that bit of harness for the LEDs. That way, I can have the LEDs switched separately or linked to come on/off with the high beams.

OK, the lightbar is bright, but as you'll see from the beam shots, NOT something I would use in fog or dust - it projects all over the place and would give a lot of glare. I think it'll be better for side and middle range lighting, the aircraft spots are staying for distance. I tried to get some road-side shots, but they didn't turn out good at all. Here are some beam pattern shots for comparison

low beam Hella E-Code conversion housing

high beam Hella E-Code conversion housing

20" Ebay LED bar

(2x) 100w / 100k CP aircraft spots
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by corax View Post
    One of the stages at the Olympus Rally at the end of May in Shelton, WA is 27 miles long (which is pretty damn long) and the first run of it is at night, so it was a perfect excuse to spend a bit (but not much) on some more lighting. My aircraft spots work great for distance, but I've been wondering about the ebay LED light bars for awhile, so I got a 126W 20" wide bar to fit my bumper. The outer 12 LEDs are flood, the rest are spot. It supposedly uses Cree LEDs (but I haven't taken it apart yet to check) and it does have a polycarbonate lens. I like the bottom mounts because it means I could melt on some light tabs that could be reused for other type lights if I change my mind later. Cost was just over $100. I might take it apart before the rally just to make sure it's sealed properly and that there's enough thermal paste in there (hybrid controller recall at work means there's a ton of quality paste to be had for free)

For now, I've disconnected the aircraft spot beams and am using that bit of harness for the LEDs. That way, I can have the LEDs switched separately or linked to come on/off with the high beams.

OK, the lightbar is bright, but as you'll see from the beam shots, NOT something I would use in fog or dust - it projects all over the place and would give a lot of glare. I think it'll be better for side and middle range lighting, the aircraft spots are staying for distance. I tried to get some road-side shots, but they didn't turn out good at all. Here are some beam pattern shots for comparison

20" Ebay LED bar

It sounds like you got a good deal on a lot of light. I like how well it fits into your bumper too. When I thought I was in the market for a light bar I liked the idea of the combo lenses. In the above picture it's hard to tell that there is a combo lens. I know light bars aren't known for their throw so having some spot is necessary.

Your picture looks like one large semi oval hot spot. Do you feel there is much difference between the different optics?

I tried covering one side of the flood and all the spot with my arm and the hot spot only diminished a little bit. I was kinda surprised how round the hot spot was given that the bar itself is very rectangular . . . meh, for the money, I'm not disappointed. I picked it specifically to fit that spot on the 4runner and also maybe transfer to behind the grill on the Celica. I'm mostly hoping it'll give me a bit more warning of deer on the side of the trail when I'm cruising at speed.

I have the same size combo Hanma light, and initially had it mounted in the same spot. I actually like it better mounted on the roof, as it pulls the spot back a little and lights the trail better.
    I don't like it on at any sort of speed in either location though, because it lights too much of the sides that it's hard to focus on what's in front of me.
    Overall, it's a good size and a great amount of light at a good price I think.

sweet light! sounds like a hell of a deal at ~$100

Oh right. I missed the price - I paid about twice that. $100 for that bar is a ridiculous deal!

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    sweet light! sounds like a hell of a deal at ~$100

The 24" bars are actually cheaper, but most use side mounts instead of bottom mounts (I specifically wanted the bottom mounts)

So after less than a month, I started to get condensation on the inside of the lens. I love taking things apart, so if anyone cares, this is what it looks like on the inside.

end caps removed, screws on the front backed out so the lens can be slid out the side of the housing, & optics removed

close up of the LED chip board. it's just several independent boards daisy chained together. doing the math, each LED is 3W (they look so tiny). I noted that there was a small amount of white thermal paste around the sides of the screw holes and edges of the boards - I don't know how well, or evenly, it was applied, but it is there.

the string looking things are the pieces of silicone that seal the back side of the lens to the housing. They are obviously not the same length as the bar. I believe the silicone strings are stretched during install, which would reduce their diameter and, along with that, their sealing ability. I reinstalled the silicone string, but also sealed the top and bottom of the lens to the housing with Flowable Clear Silicone sealer - so far, it's been 3 weeks without any condensation in the housing.

here's a video I took while sweeping a night stage at the Olympus Rally. My Hella E-codes aren't as dark as they look in the video, I think that just has to do with my Contour camera's exposure and how quickly it adjusts (doesn't really) . . . either way, you get a good idea of how well the LED light bar works.
    http://youtu.be/3s_tVRMliXA

Cool vid, that thing is seriously bright!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Man those emitters are small and boy do they put out some light. Looks like you got a heck of a deal on some serious lumens.