Thread: 02 4runner aftermarket radio installation

02 4runner aftermarket radio installation

i have a 2002 4runner with the stock radio and i am looking to replace it with a JCV head unit. do i need to take out the stock amp? what wire harnesses do i need? All the harnesses I've looked at only have wires for 4 speakers, i haven't seen any that says anything about the tweeters...

Good writeup here. I know Bob is still trying to get the site back up, but this will work for you.
    http://web.archive.org/web/201212312...nit/index.html

There are a few things I would change about that writeup. Don't worry about running a separate power wire to the stereo, the factory one should be sufficient.

Don't worry about the tweeter, that is self contained within the front speaker (There must be a high pass filter on the factory speaker feeding the tweeter). It's been a long time since I did my speaker swap, so I don't recall how that is exactly handled by the stock setup, but it is, so shouldn't be a problem for you.

The wiring harness you need, assuming you have the JVC side of the harness is this: http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-1761-...rds=%2370-1761

The wiring should be straight forward, read the manual on how to put the two harnesses (JVC to TOY) together. I HIGHLY recommend soldering the connections. If you can't do that, try to find someone who can, or use high quality crimps. Soldering is the better way to go though. If you live in SoCal, I'll solder it up for you.

Any other questions, feel free to ask! and WELCOME to the forum!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.