Thread: Supra Motor Swap

Supra Motor Swap

OK heres the deal

My 3.0 has 210,000 on it and still running good but I have been told its not worth rebuilding to many problems with them after rebuild plus I would love to get more hp and the money spent on the 3.0 hp is money waisted. S i was thinking of the 3.4 and a friend of mine asked me if I had thought about the SUPRA motor swap. He says that it can be built to 500+ hp and will bolt right up to mt stock drivetrain so I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this or done it and how it compares to the 3.4 swap??? Anything from the brother hood here will be much appreciated
    1990 4 runner <br />5.29 front with Aisin hubs coming soon Aussie locker<br />5.29 rears with TRD limited slip <br />35 x 12.5 x 15 B.F.Goodrich KO&#039;s<br />15 x 8 Micky Thompson Classic II rims<br />Pro Comp stage II 4&quot; suspension lift<br /><br />1955 Panhead Original Hardtail frame and Kick start only<br />Springer front end stock rake <br />Home made Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Hand built rear Taildragger fender tombstone taillight<br />I am the SECOND OWNER did all the work myself<br /><br />1998 flhtc Dresser<br />Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Fat Tail rear fender<br />Arlen Ness custom extended hard bags with my custom exhaust running Thur Nascar Style dual tip out both sides (4 tips total)<br />Stealth Bomber Radar absorbing flat black paint

Re: Supra Motor Swap

This guy is the authority - he goes by SuperRunner.

http://www.supracharged.com/

Let me shoot him an invite.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Re: Supra Motor Swap

It is not a bolt up affair by any means, but plenty have done the swap with some ingenuity involved. I have a 3.4 now and it's a nice reliable motor, but it's nothing like a 7M-GTE. The 3.4 makes good power down low and has a good mid range, but the top end power is really lacking, particularly for a DOHC 24 valve engine. The 7M has a 6500 RPM redline (compared to the 3.4's 5500) and the 7M pulls easily to 7200 RPMs before the rev limiter kicks in. I modded mine to 430 hp and it would pull to about 7600 RPMs before the rev limiter could catch up. It has less torque than a 3.4 below 2000 RPMs, but should make more torque at any RPM above that.

Not only did it make monster power, but the inline-6 is inherently better balanced than a V6--so much so that you couldn't feel any vibration from the engine at idle to redline. Then there's the sound--the 7M sounds so nice at any RPM that you can help but beat on it.

Did I like my 7M? Absolutely. They are 20-year old engines though and likely won't be as reliable as a 3.4. The 3.4 seems very water tight while the 7M's engine harness connectors have been subjected to intense heat from the turbo for 20-years of rubber grommet baking, so they don't seem to like getting wet. That is probably something you could fix by sealing the connectors a little better though.

I have always wanted a 2nd gen 4Runner with a 7M-GTE and a rear locker...