Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me solve my awful vibration!

I have shocks sitting in my garage you can try out if you want. I'd think they would only mask the issue like you were saying though.

Yeah, I am waiting for the shocks to go on sale again. Like you said, they only mask the problem though. I will also need new top mounts, my rubber is shot.

If I have time tomorrow after work, I will pull a tire and swap it with the spare, also check the wheel play, etc.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Could your driveshaft be out of phase? How often have you had it out?
    Try flipping it at the flanges 180* and try again. One end at a time.
    Fixed a nasty vibration on my '84.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Only two or three times. Once to swap in the elocker, once to fix the seal on the third and maybe one other time I'm forgetting.

To me, the drive shaft should be balanced and the flanges on either end should be balanced. In other words they do not rely on one another for balance and counter balance.

I'm going to go for another alignment this week or weekend. Maybe they won't screw it up this time.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    To me, the drive shaft should be balanced and the flanges on either end should be balanced. In other words they do not rely on one another for balance and counter balance.
    I agree with you, and it seems to usually be the case, but I have (personally) had experiences where it was NOT the case.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I had the vibration for eons kept working on it if you recall. In the end it was multiple things that contributed to it. Out of round drums and rotors worn motor and trans mounts bad axle shaft (big culprit) and worn a arm bushings. It still vibrates a little and IMHO it's due to it being an old truck with a lot of miles and who knows what else is worn.

New axle fixed most of its gone
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Yeah I have looked through your thread for inspiration.

We'll see what the wheels and tires bring me.

Lance solved my problem!!!! Thanks Lance!!!!!!

did you have 5 bad tire/rim combos?

I know I have at least two bent wheels. (or at least I suspect since the vibe is always felt through the steering wheel, even when rotating front to back) I am not in the mood to play musical rims to find out which two, or even one. I am happy to rid myself of them.

I know going to stock alloys solves the vibe, so I will look for some of my own. I was never super thrilled with those wheels to begin with. I'll have my current tires swapped over to new rims and properly balanced. If I still have a vibe at that point, then I know it's a tire and I will replace accordingly.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 07-19-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast