Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collecting parts.

Collecting parts.

So, through some kind of Voodoo, I came across quite the find over the weekend thanks to a buddy searching for tacoma parts in a local yard that he refuses to tell me the location as it's his "gold mine."

Buddy found the suspension on a 97, it's a little beat up but those are OME 881's with the N90004's and spacer already assembled, no rear suspension parts were available as they were already pulled. The rear e-locker came off of a different 4runner in the lot. It's geared 4.30 and complete. The only thing if you notice is one of the plastic plugs on top broke, but the connections are still intact.

The pic doesn't do it justice, but the gears actually look very clean, with no play and are very smooth. KryptoRoxx actually made a comment about how he was slightly jealous of mine. Although, that might be the fact that I paid a whopping $100 for the lot.

My questions are 1) the shocks don't appear to be leaking, or dented but as they aren't new, and I don't know their history, I'm not sure if they're worth holding onto or not, as I do have leads on some barely used rear 890 coils and would only need rear struts for a full OME setup. And 2) is it worth trying to find a replacement for the plastic connector on top of the e-locker, or just don't even worry about it as the prongs are still intact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: 97 4runner Sr5, 5spd, 4wd... Awaiting wife's approval to start wrenching

Past: 88 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360, 4wd R.I.P.

I hate you guys! I paid like $650 for mine years ago... with a broken connector! see if the connector still works. If it does, run it. If not, then either track down the OEM connector, or just straight solder the connections. In the past, I've used spade quick disconnects but they usually fail after a few years, especially if not greased.

You could try the shocks, but I'd toss 'em if it was me.

Nice find, looking forward to seeing what you do with it all!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I don't know whereabouts you are, but I've always had great luck at the riverside pick-a-part. But my buddy takes all the credit on this find. I heard 4wheel parts tests shocks, so I might swing by one and worst case I pick up some new ones while there. Pretty sure the 881s will still have some life left in them as I'm currently stock up front anyways.

Current: 97 4runner Sr5, 5spd, 4wd... Awaiting wife's approval to start wrenching

Collecting parts.

Everything of course is in due time as I have a little one coming within the next 2 weeks, and still need to track down front 4.30's, and an axle housing, as I don't feel like cutting mine. For now I'll stick to the small stuff, next up is a Satoshi grill. Watching KryptoRoxx do his over the weekend has re-motivated me to do mine. But seeing as he took my TRD bottom corner route, I'll have to do mine "with a twist." as he puts it so our neighbors don't think we're constantly copying each other.

I'm next to San Bernardino. If you drive down the 10 towards LA, you pass through Redlands. Which Riverside pick a part? I had great luck during cash for clunkers, but not so much anymore.

I've had a special emblem in a drawer for a long time. I've been wanting to redo mine for a while, so maybe I'll get some motivation to work on it sooner than later. It doesn't need much work, just some sanding and a repaint, plus a new emblem. If you want my old one, let me know.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

The San Bernardino is closer to me as well as I'm up in 29 palms. The Riverside up until recently was called Hillside. It's off of pyrite st. They do a good job of update their new arrivals and usually have a couple of 3rd gens a tacoma or landcruiser laying around as well, and list what row everything's on through the LKQ site.

I don't think I've been to that one. I'm in need of some small stuff, maybe I'll try it out next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I hate you guys! I paid like $650 for mine years ago... with a broken connector! see if the connector still works. If it does, run it. If not, then either track down the OEM connector, or just straight solder the connections. In the past, I've used spade quick disconnects but they usually fail after a few years, especially if not greased.

You could try the shocks, but I'd toss 'em if it was me.

Nice find, looking forward to seeing what you do with it all!
    We stumble onto these deals most of the time honestly. I'm running down this weekend to see if I can score some montero rotors and mustang calipers. I will hit up Riverside San b. And one more close by to see if I can nail down some parts. Battlewagon has me searching for some stuff as well but at least he has an elocker housing. I'm doing the retrofit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Shoot, next time you go let me know. Be nice to meet you guys and go picking some weekend.

Will do. The more the merrier on picking excursions. It means more eyes looking for the parts you want/need....plus sometimes others have better ideas than you do yourself. Battlewagon has helped me several times just by suggesting something different.

stamped and snail mailed
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast