Thread: 5-speed guys, anyone have a short shifter?

5-speed guys, anyone have a short shifter?

I've been thinking about adding a short shift kit to my 98 manual. Does anyone have any experience with either the marlin crawler or URD products? Wondering if the MC one is really worth the extra money...

Any general opinions on short shift kits on these 4Runners? Worth doing?

I have one and I like it. The throws are much shorter and crisper. There is a downside though, it is more difficult to get into first gear.

A buddy with a manual transmission Jeep Cherokee (which uses the same trans as us and called the AX15) has a B&M short shifter for his and he said it doesn't feel half as smooth as the Toyota/URD setup.

I too have a URD and really like it. I don't really have the first gear problem but yes the throw is much shorter. Last summer I pulled the shifter out to inspect it. It had been installed for 6 years and I wanted to make sure it was still happy. It was but I still polished the ball, rotated the bushing and greased it all.

I'll probably be buying the URD kit once I have a bit more disposable income.

My 4Runner doesn't like going into 1st unless I'm nearly stopped, so hopefully it doesn't get worse. I didn't know that was an issue with some short throw kits.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post

My 4Runner doesn't like going into 1st unless I'm nearly stopped, so hopefully it doesn't get worse. I didn't know that was an issue with some short throw kits.
    That's how mine is too Dan, the short shifter just makes it worse due to the reduction in leverage. It's not a problem though, the transmission shifts great.

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    I'll probably be buying the URD kit once I have a bit more disposable income.

Like Ken said, it's most likely due to the reduction in leverage. Other than the throw my kit didn't change anything else with my shifting.