Thread: DIY Parabola: I can't believe this s### actually works

DIY Parabola: I can't believe this s### actually works

Tired of literally driving up to my garage door before the garage door receiver catches the signal, I did a little internet homework. Long story short, these garage door companies sell a +$100 kit that supposedly allows the receiver to receive signals from a farther distance. The cheap Asian in me decided that was not an option, so I surfed around some more.

Haha, corny segue into what I found: this clever guy on the internet devised a parabola template which actually works. The standard template is here:

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/

So basically cut out and then trace onto some cardboard stock. I used a file folder envelope and that was just the right thickness. i used spray glue to affix some tin foil to the curved part, but didn't apply to the middle section. Once cut out, you run the 6 tabs through the slits on the big side and then tape those tabs down to keep them from popping out.

Next thing I did was to use a straw to keep the original garage door antenna straight. I didn't stretch or tape the antenna wire. just threaded it through the straw. I used a regular staple and poked it through the straw so as to keep the parabola from sliding off. Then I slid the entire shebang through the antenna wire and then taped the straw to the garage door opener itself.

Normally I will have to swing straight to my garage bay and then literally have to be within 5 feet of the door before it opens. Now I can open it from at least 30-40 ft away. No joke. Now I still have to be facing directly towards the antenna/parabola in order for it to open, but I'm just happy this origami parabola shit works!

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like it, and might have to do it myself.

When I first started reading about the antenna, somehow I thought that little antenna was going to be mounted on the dashboard of your new car, or worse:

I installed a Homelink in the 4Runner last year and the range on it is not very good at all. I bet your mod would take care of that.

Nice. Although I bet if you really tried you could make something even more ghetto looking.

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Nice. Although I bet if you really tried you could make something even more ghetto looking.
    Trust me, mine is a Picasso as compared to some on the interweb!

Ken:

If you have the materials handy, you could easily do this in an hour. But knowing you, you'd probably put some LEDs on it and a coat of wax, so tack on an additional 2 hrs!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post
    If you have the materials handy, you could easily do this in an hour. But knowing you, you'd probably put some LEDs on it and a coat of wax, so tack on an additional 2 hrs!
    I can tell, I am a labeled man. Not sure about the wax, but LEDs would certainly be a must. And a solar panel.

I have a super thick insulated metal garage door and when we first bought the house I thought it was going to be an issue. We've been really lucky but I did research extending the antenna or adding an additional one like the type used on large gates.

Something like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smwjAOvVACY

The important thing is to use coax instead of wire as the wire itself would become an antenna but for a changed wavelength and then not work. In both of our vehicles I hard mounted the remote in a hidden location and extended the button. My button is hidden as I park in the driveway whereas the Subaru uses a stock button in a button blank on the dash. This was purely for security reasons and to free up room in the glove box or overhead console. Having the actual remote hidden hasn't seemed to degrade the signal.

stuill can't believe this thing works. you guys should totally do this