Thread: DIY Parabola: I can't believe this s### actually works

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

DIY Parabola: I can't believe this s### actually works

Tired of literally driving up to my garage door before the garage door receiver catches the signal, I did a little internet homework. Long story short, these garage door companies sell a +$100 kit that supposedly allows the receiver to receive signals from a farther distance. The cheap Asian in me decided that was not an option, so I surfed around some more.

Haha, corny segue into what I found: this clever guy on the internet devised a parabola template which actually works. The standard template is here:

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/

So basically cut out and then trace onto some cardboard stock. I used a file folder envelope and that was just the right thickness. i used spray glue to affix some tin foil to the curved part, but didn't apply to the middle section. Once cut out, you run the 6 tabs through the slits on the big side and then tape those tabs down to keep them from popping out.

Next thing I did was to use a straw to keep the original garage door antenna straight. I didn't stretch or tape the antenna wire. just threaded it through the straw. I used a regular staple and poked it through the straw so as to keep the parabola from sliding off. Then I slid the entire shebang through the antenna wire and then taped the straw to the garage door opener itself.

Normally I will have to swing straight to my garage bay and then literally have to be within 5 feet of the door before it opens. Now I can open it from at least 30-40 ft away. No joke. Now I still have to be facing directly towards the antenna/parabola in order for it to open, but I'm just happy this origami parabola shit works!

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images