Update:
Last fall I upgraded the battery in the generator to a deep cycle SLA. The battery I chose is the same size and terminal configuration of the flooded battery but gives much better performance. Luckily the batteries are the exact same size so everything still fit in the box without modification to wiring or components. Price was about $85 for the 35AH SLA versus the $25 lawn and tractor unit.

If you squint with one eye the picture isn't so blurry.

Advantages with the SLA is that it is spill proof, deep cycle and holds a higher charge. The most I could get out of the flooded battery was ~12.2 volts. If the unit was being used, especially after daylight hours, the charge would drop faster than I wanted. The SLA charges to about 13.3 volts and will hold it for much longer during use, of course depending on what the draw is.

Another change I've made is swapping out the switchable electrical receptacle (solar input). It turns out I didn't really need a switch but when I first put it together I wanted to avoid confusion about what that receptacle was and only required one input, hence the switch. Now I've got a regular dual outlet in there. One is input from the solar panel and the outer is 12v output, if it wasn't confusing it is now. I need to get a new label maker to replace the post-it note.

I found some nifty 12 volt led bulbs online and wanted to give them a try. After testing one with a sketchy temporary setup I wanted to incorporate a way to use the bulbs with the box. The bulbs use a standard light bulb base, are 7 watts and run only on 12 volts. I like the concept as it allows the use of regular in home fixtures and a similar light output without the use of an inverter (higher efficiency and decreased load). The intent would be for power outages and use in a home and not so much for my camping/offroad needs.

I bought the bulb off Amazon from a dealer that has many different 12 volt options. They have 3w, 5w, and 7w in cool and warm colors. They also have different bases as well as models that plug into a USB port. I went with the 7w warm white with standard base. The bulb came from Hong Kong and reviews are 50/50. Some of the not so good reviews are user error and misunderstanding while others are great. I only ordered one in case it was a bust but now plan to order more of this exact type.

I found the output to be just brighter than a 120v, 6w, warm white Cree LED bulb. Again a crappy cell phone picture but it's just an example of the output.

The heat sinks get warm but not too hot. Poor reviews mention bad heat sinking but I feel as long as the heat is getting to the fins it's trying to do it's job. Long term tests will see. My battery box has just enough room to store the bulb in it so that's nice. I labeled the bulb 12 volt only and will make a warning tag to place on the appliance cord when it's in use.