So today I'm on the freeway clocking miles and notice the cruise control isn't working. At first there is no light in the cluster. Then after some pushing of the button, lifting of the brake pedal and pressing of the brake I would get a flashing CRUISE light, that blinks about every 3 seconds. Because I had the family in the car I stopped messing with it and went about my way.

I did a google search while on the can and most of what came up was issues regarding Tacomas and 2nd gens. The issues varied from clutch pedal adjustments to blown bulbs and fuses. One said the problem was connected to a non operational AC compressor. Well, I checked the under hood fuses as well as the third brake light because they are easy to access. Both were fine. I then pressed on the brake pedal and noticed I have no brake lights.

I figured it was something other than the bulbs since the third brake light bulb was fine and I had running lights and turn signals. Well, in the fuses panel by the drivers left knee there was a blown 10a fuse. I use fuses on everything I install on the 4Runner and blow them here or there but it's known when I do this. I either short a wire, switch or am just not paying attention.

Most of the factory wiring is still factory as I use a Blue Sea junction block. In short I haven't touched the brake light circuit let alone ever paid any attention to it. Why did the fuse blow? I know it's a simple question with a seemingly easy answer but what gives? With a new fuse I now have brake lights, sorry for all the people that have driven behind me. Who knows how long they have been out. I've never had to replace a rear bulb but maybe they are getting old and pulling more current? Maybe something else I've tapped into or around caused it to go? All my other fuses are good so that's a plus, maybe I'm just looking too far into a simple fuse doing it's job. I'm just wondering who gave it orders?