Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Projector headlights for 3rd gen

Projector headlights for 3rd gen

I was pretty excited when I saw this:

My other two cars at home have factory HID and factory LED headlights, so they spoil the crap out of me compared to a reflectorized halogen housing like the 4Runner has. With the above light, I envision an Acura TSX HID projector or FX35 projector in one side and a pair of nice LED fog lights (which I have on order) in the other.

The bug-eyed look of an HID retrofit has held me back. These look like a nice alternative. You'll also note the dual filament corner market lights...perfect for a bright LED DRL or turn signal in one socket and standard marker light in the other.

Oh, I like that!

I wonder what the quality is like, and if the outer lens is still glass.

I am very happy with my projector retrofit. My only complaint is really the aiming. With the rake of the truck, I have to nearly max out the adjusters. I also have to aim it with the truck partly full, and live with the low cutoff line when the truck is empty, or make sure the airbags are filled up when I am carrying a heavy load or towing at night, so the cutoff is at an acceptable level. That is much more to do with the dynamics of the truck though, and not the fault of the projectors.

I know what you mean about the bug eyed look. They don't install as cleanly as other housings. I will have to say though that most people never realize I have projectors until I point them our or they see the output.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I should clarify on the bug-eye thing; in my opinion, it looks really bad on a truck like mine with a stock front end. The retrofits look much better when you combine it with an aftermarket front bumper and the satoshi mod.

I am waiting for details on the lens composition. I'm guessing they are plastic and if they are, hopefully our glass would fit. I'm seeing two year old 5th gens with badly faded plastic headlights, so glass would be nice.

I think leaving my reflector alone helps conceal the retrofit too. I've seen them blacked out and it looks good with certain vehicles, especially in black, but not on a white 4runner! I am not crazy about how mine look. The shrouds only make it look unfinished or something, but the light output is amazing. I'm at that point where we are just starting to look at new cars to purchase within the next 12-18 months, and if they don't have projectors, they get tossed off the list. Even halogens in projectors are better than any reflector based lighting I've come across lately.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Man that looks sharp!! How much and where? I would definitely be down to consider an upgrade like that. I considered the retrofit and I agree with the bug eyed look. On top of that lighting is something I have little to no experience with and jumping in with a complete homebrew retrofit would be very challenging especially for how much you have wrapped up in expensive parts too.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 05-02-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Currently they may only be available on a Russian site HERE, but someone is working on importing them for re-sale. The pics I posted above are from a U.S. 4Runner owner.

The back of it looks very mod-able.

If we get lucky, the existing projector will be good enough for a cheap HID upgrade. If not, Acura TSX projectors from TRS are $220. Or Lexus RX330 projectors with the TSX lenses for $180.

OR, you could drop a pile of money ($450 to be exact) on a set of Infiniti Q45 gatling gun projectors to replace the reflector bowl and some BMW X5 LED fog lights to replace the projectors. That combination would look amazing on a 3rd gen.
    Last edited by paddlenbike; 05-02-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Interesting!

I see it has the adjusting screws, but I don't really understand where they connect on that housing. I guess it manipulates the black part of the inside, holding the reflector and projector.

If he imports them, they won't be DOT approved. But neither is the TRS retrofit kit I have.

There's a lot of things that improve function and safety that are not DOT approved. If you put our glass on the front though.

I think those light look great! Even if we do have to buy an expensive light set the headlight assembly looks well constructed. The only question is how hot do the assemblies get? I am not a lighting expert at all.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 05-02-2014 at 04:25 PM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Those are some pretty nice lights! I would prefer to have the projectors on the outside (closer to the fenders) instead of the inside, but otherwise, I like it!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I've seen a few Tacoma's around here with similar looking lights and wishing a 4Runner version would come out!

I've considered the projector retrofit but I'm still unsure, and another thing as Sean mentioned on the adjustments, I have noticed on even stock looking aftermarket lenses I have maxed out the adjusters to get the lights to point somewhat normal. I think this is due to the aftermarket molding of the mount.

I had the idea of finding a cheap set of 96-98 lights just for the mounting bracket and then using the clear lenses off the aftermarket lights to house the projector, this way, I hope, the lights will adjust correctly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast