Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Question.....or is it? Relay and switch wiring LED and other lights

Stupid Question.....or is it? Relay and switch wiring LED and other lights

I'm pretty sure that I can wire the rest of the relays up for my lights but I was wondering if there was a good place to look for a switched supply? In addition is there any limit to how many switches I can have on the switched power supply? I have a aux fuse/relay block for all my accessories but thus far I have just wired them constant hot which I wouldn't mind fixing....but I'm not awesome at electrical stuff. I have never used a relay for wiring switches before but I know I need to do it.

Maybe I just need a little help. Here is what I understand.
    Relay Diagram.png
    I believe that I am going to end up drilling a hole in the firewall and routing all of my cables through there independently. There's too many already.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Your cigerete lighter is switched and should run several relay coils without issue. I'd tap into that circuit if you want, but I like my add on's to be always hot

also your fuse on the switched supply is redundant since it would be fused in your stock fuse box.
    Last edited by troyboy162; 05-06-2014 at 04:29 PM.

I have tapped my cig lighter circuit for all my relays that need switched power. I actually don't use the factory cig lighter anymore, I replaced it with a blue sea USB socket.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I have tapped my cig lighter circuit for all my relays that need switched power. I actually don't use the factory cig lighter anymore, I replaced it with a blue sea USB socket.
    Did the same thing. I hardwired my bluetooth audio adapter at the same time. One of the best mods I have done for convenience.

That sounds good enough for me. I only really need 3 relays right now so it shouldn't be too much of a load anyway.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    I believe that I am going to end up drilling a hole in the firewall and routing all of my cables through there independently. There's too many already.
    Can you expand on this? What exactly do you mean?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    Can you expand on this? What exactly do you mean?
    Well honestly the holes through the firewall are filled with wires for stock components and after running a 0ga wire through one of them most of the extra space is taken up where it is convenient to run them through. I'm considering drilling a 3/4" hole through the firewall that's extra just for add-on wiring. That way everything I have added to the truck is organized and somewhat separate from the stock components.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

just be sure to seal it up. I have a small leak through mine.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    just be sure to seal it up. I have a small leak through mine.
    Yep. Going to try bicycle innertube and silicone along with a rubber grommet to see if that helps. This project should give me something to do while I wait for the account for mods to fill again for the axles.

stamped and snail mailed
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Look into getting a wire gland to mount in the fire wall.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wire...w=1290&bih=768

That with a little silicone should keep it sealed and protect the wires through the hole. I ran an 8g wire through my factory harness on the driver side to power a Blue Sea junction block behind the dash. It's fused on both sides of the firewall and has been nice for ad ons.

One thing to consider is the interference that a lot of the high power LED's cause. Currently only my center dome light causes any interference when using my HAM radio. It's the driver that causes it and I haven't really done anything to fix it. It's just white noise. My Blue Sea dual USB port on the other hand was far worse. It's mounted near the Blue Sea junction and the radio. It took some jangling to fix that.

Now I've got the same interference with the portable battery box i made recently. I have a noise filter I may try but first I need to order some ferrite chokes. My inverter and USB ports cause the same noise. The radio is attached directly to the radio and it's still an issue.

Yeah, but what kinda electrical stuff do you have on the inside that needs big gauge wire, except for stereo stuff. You see, the idea behind using relays is to keep all the high amperage big wires on the outside of the truck and use small wires on the inside. Less chance for a fire in the passenger compartment this way.

If you tap off the cigarette lighter, then that's your single power source for the multiple relays. That means you only need 1 tiny wire going from each switch to the relay.

By the way, there's a large rubber plug under the floor mats that you can put wires through.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast