Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4Runners.org - being rebuilt page by page

4Runners.org - being rebuilt page by page

It's probably been over 1.5 yrs since a Russian rump ranger totally hacked Lance's server and 4runners.org went down with it. Fortunately Lance still had the content so I copied it over to my back up drive.

Well after getting a Mac, I needed to buy Dreamweaver again (my fave website building tool) and it took me some time to learn the newer version. Errr, i got frustrated and that's why it took so long So finally i was all excited to move those file, images, etc. over. But my f@#$#@g backup drive died at some point and now I'm f'd. I tried a different power cord too but all it does it light the LED on light.

So I just said f'it and just going to use the internet time machine archive website and copy/rebuild each page 1 by 1. If there's a bright side to all of this, I'm relearning html. My coding is so elementary, but hey, it works I have to strip out all the css stuff that webarchive.org embeds in the pages. Anyways, it took about an hour to relearn and clean up the code and now the front page has been rebuilt. For those sharp eyed 4runners.org fans, yes, the email form is no longer. My old company who used to sponsor free email disabled that service many years ago. So it's history.

Anyways, I'll build this site up again, slowly but surely.

Trivia:

- the website was built in 2001 and went down in 2013.
    - the first write up was the Air Elbow Mod. Curiously enough, I never ever built the more popular Deckplate mod page!
    - you would not believe the number of people who believe the Type R diff breather mod actually increases HP
    - the most popular write ups have been the Satoshi emblem mod, 02 sensor replacement, and the Diff, Trans and T-case fluids pages

Good stuff. It was always one of the best reference sites out there, and will continue to be I'm sure!

Looking forward to using it again, and hopefully getting some new content up there!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Hey cool! Never knew who really made the page but I used it before I became a forum junkie lol. Thank you! I wouldn't mind contributing some stuff that I've done.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Thanks Bob. About the week I bought my 4Runner I printed out most (98%) of the topics and they live in a binder in the garage. It's been a valuable piece of information and I go to it often, especially since the webpage had been down. Instead of hoping someone else has the facts online I go to the source.

thanks for all the compliments, guys. after i figured out what code to strip, rebuilding the text pages is somewhat easy. Tedious, but easy. however of the 5 pages i just re-added, only 1 of them had all the pictures. anyone know why 4 of 5 did not have the pics?

look at the source code for the pages with working pictures vs non-working pictures... some differences there

throttle body:
    img src="/web/20130310231141im_/http://www.4runners.org/image/throttle/01_throt_unhook.jpg" width="334" height="250" border="1"

brake bleeding:
    img src="/image/brakebleed/hillbilly2.jpg" width="420" height="350" border="1"

actually, even removing the weird stuff, it looks like the pictures just aren't on your server anymore?
    Last edited by garrett; 05-14-2014 at 07:03 AM.

Bob, your efforts are really appreciated. 4runners.org and your writeups are the best on the web. I am still convincing friends that don't have 3rd gens to get them and your site is where I used to refer everyone. Glad it's coming back.

Excellent website Bob, I was wondering why it disappeared.
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

Obviously, as others have said Bob, glad to see it coming back. Always a great reference!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast