Thread: Finally starting to wrench.

Finally starting to wrench.

So as some of you may know, I've been hoarding parts lately for upcoming projects. Well just recently I've begun a few of the smaller ones and am about to do some of the larger ones as soon as I get the last parts. Figured I'd share and ask questions now before I get to far into it and forget.

Had a buddy sell his tacoma and found his old snowflakes in storage that he had taken off for aftermarket wheels. He asked if I wanted them, I "reluctantly" said yes. Lol. Mounted them that weekend and here's the results.

Picked up a powder coated aluminum grill insert from customcargrills and an FJ40 grill emblem replacement on ebay $25 and $20. In order to do a satoshi. I read a lot about people saying the 6"x 36" wasn't large enough for our grills, but after measuring (and following through) I can say that it does work.

Got a stupid good deal on an elocker geared in 4.30 as well as some 881 front coils with 90004 nitrochargers and top spacer already assembled by toytec. The coilovers are a little dirty but having come off a 2wd weren't abused too terribly and seem to still have some life in them. Kryptoroxx is selling me his elocker housing so I can build the rear and make time on lift shorter, once I get a 4.30 front.

This is where the questions come in. I'm undecided on rear suspension. Ideally I'd like to go with some OME 890's and either 60073 or 60028 nitrochargers as I don't have any extra weight. However, I have been also considering doing the 7 wrap FZJ80 coils and shocks which would probably be easier to get/ cheaper and give about the same 3" of lift possibly a slight bit more. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's my understanding that the 890's are a bit more stiff than the 7 wraps.

My 3rd gen is my DD, and I plan to do occasional off-roading, I have read about full OME suspension and also on the tundra TRD/LC lift but haven't found anything on a mix of the two. I'm trying to keep things on the cheap as I have a newborn. But the plethora of 890 coils that was two months ago on CL has dried up and I'm getting anxious to do more work to my runner. For once I'd like to do a project BEFORE Kryptoroxx. Worst case, I spread the OME coils and shocks over a couple pay checks and just deal with the wait time. Any experience/ advice on the rear setup would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BattleWagonActual; 05-12-2014 at 01:45 AM.
    Current: 97 4runner Sr5, 5spd, 4wd... Awaiting wife's approval to start wrenching

Past: 88 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360, 4wd R.I.P.

I have to say that his satoshi looks a lot cleaner than mine does. Especially up close. I will always be happy to help BattleWagon.

Maybe we need to go up the Lucerne on the way to Big Bear for the 4th? Not sure if you want the little guy out there that soon but I wanted to pass along the invite. You only need functioning 4wd to do it and it's a beautiful trip. Takes 3 hours if you take your time.

As far as the rear suspension goes remember I'm trying to score that welder soon. You might be able to add weight sooner than you think.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

This is true, I did see some 891's for sale a day or two ago, I could check up on those. As far as Big Bear on the 4th, I'll have to wait and see what my training schedule is like. I know we go out for a month in the near future but not sure about the 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: 97 4runner Sr5, 5spd, 4wd... Awaiting wife's approval to start wrenching

Past: 88 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360, 4wd R.I.P.

We usually do a cabin up there for a few days either before or after and that way we can enjoy ourselves without being part of the rush on the 4th.

stamped and snail mailed
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Lookin' good!

BB on the 4th must be a disaster! Especially since it lands on a Friday this year!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Lookin' good!

BB on the 4th must be a disaster! Especially since it lands on a Friday this year!
    we are on foot for that day it isn't bad at all. If you go up for just the day nightmare is a good pg description lol.

Plus if I want to drink a few I can without having to worry at all. I also love biking up there. This year I can drag out the Canfield Brothers frame and have some fun!

stamped and snail mailed
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 05-12-2014 at 06:59 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf