Thread: Krypto's 98 4runner

Krypto's 98 4runner

Well here goes nothing. First build thread I've ever done so please be patient. First a little history. I found this 4runner while I was stationed in Japan on Craigslist. It was located in Everett WA so pretty close to in-laws and also what's called a port of call in the military (where they will fly you to during a Permanent Change of Station) so for $6000 I purchased a 3rz 5spd 4x4 with 238k on the odo and the body was in immaculate shape. Really the only maintenance related things I have done were the valves, brakes, oil changes, tires/rims, and springs since they were sagging. I have driven it up and down the west coast several times and has never given me one iota of trouble. So now on to the pics. This is actually the picture I had off of the ad lol.

First thing that was done was the stereo. It had a Jensen something or another and I replaced it with a Kenwood KIV-BT901. Great little unit that has all the sound quality I desire and none of the hype that I don't. At the same time I ran into a CB unit that I could fit in the ashtray (I don't smoke) so that went in as well. In the area down below I rigged a external speaker that works great.

The antenna mount I got from ORS (who is now out of business sadly) and I learned my first lesson on being careful with interior pieces.

When I did the CB setup I didn't want to tie into the radio circuit because I didn't want to overload it so I needed a new way or organize wires. So this is what I came up with after doing a lot of research. It's a bussman waterproof fusebox. I found the link just for reference. It's a great box for organizing and separating your stock wiring from your aftermarket stuff.

http://www.waytekwire.com/item/46346...RO-RELAY-RTMR/

I don't have any pictures of the work I did but I did add a FIPK intake (I know, I know, but it's got an amsoil filter on it now) LCE headers, LCE HD clutch, and then self made exhaust with a magnaflow 24" with 2.5" all the way back. Hopefully I can complete the HP with a Stage 1 cam/valve spring upgrade, and top it off with a piggyback a/f controller. I know it won't stomp any Vette c7s but it will be able to get out of it's own way. The 3rz is a great engine but I have to say the 3rd gen is a little too heavy for it.

Now we can fast forward to this present year 2014 because I was working on another project that I've moved on from. In hindsight I shouldn't have ever bought that thing but I learned a lot from it and gave me the experience I needed to paint the 4runner.

Now from this point on I will be referencing threads here on Ultimateyota as I complete them.

I did take pictures of these mods but didn't post a thread as they have been well covered here and pretty much everywhere else.

Here's some of the build pics from doing the gentax mirror mod along with a very rare gift BattleWagon spotted in the salvage yard. A sunglass holder with no sunroof controls. Of course he needed one with them but he's a good friend and hooked me up. Thanks man. While I did this I also went to LED lights for the interior dome and rear tailgate. They did wonders for early morning packing.

And I also hardwired a BT audio device so that I can stream Pandora through my stereo and a remote AUX input for those who don't habla with Android (eg Iphones)

Now here's the thread where I did the valves as a maintenance write-up.
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthre...10551-MPG-woes

Finally here's the link for the Monstaliner paint job that I did as maint/mod since the desert sun beats down on paint so hard here.
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthread.php?10590-Monstaliner-Twist

And a ridiculous poser shot when I went down berdoo canyon road to see how the 99 tall springs acted off road. Kinda springy imo but I am missing 150lbs and I did not replace my shocks when I did it. Hoping to do 5100's all the way around depending on what happens.

So what's my endstate for this thing?

E-Locker install with retrofit
    Re-gearing of the front diff
    Disc Brake conversion
    Buy a welder (miller 211?)
    Homemade Full length Top Rack (to practice for the punishment taking stuff)
    Homemade Ladder on the rear tailgate and tire carrier

Later:
    "1.5" body/drivetrain lift
    Homemade Flatbelly Skid plates w/ F-150 fuel tank mod

More Later:
    Front/Rear Bumpers w/winch
    Eaton Tru-Trac in the front diff

Much Later:
    Offroad Teardrop Trailer

Pipe Dream:
    Engine Swap for something like 1uz or a nice D4D diesel (drool)
    FJ80 axles front and rear with ARB
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

So now that I've got the intake modified I am now looking towards doing major work on the rear axle although I'm only doing two projects specifically. The first being the e-locker retrofit and the second being a disc brake conversion. Other things that I am doing are mounting lights, rebuilding the rear axle, and re-gearing the front axle to match the rear. While I am growing the parts pile I am rebuilding the calipers and painting them. Sadly all I have a picture of is the parts pile right now and some clean calipers.

Link to intake thread:
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthre...m-Air-Box-Idea

Another item that is up on the chopping block is re-doing all of the custom electrical and ensuring that it is sealed. I am trying to stay in the military but it looks like I could get forced out during the draw-down so that would mean moving back east to Kentucky. I gotta save it from the rust or at least do what I can before I get there.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 06-28-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Working on the rollbar mod. Still working out what I am going to paint the rollbar with. I had wanted to monstaline it but I think the cost of powder coating it might be very similar. It will turn into a shelf system eventually. Here's the progress so far. My welding seems to be improving. Projects are going to halt for a little while for a number of reasons but they shall resume again when I can make it happen.

Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 09-13-2014 at 06:08 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Finished with the elocker mod in it's entirety. The front and rear differential have been swapped and so far I don't have any leaks.

I used the write-up and contributed my experiences of the modification.
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthre...oyota-e-locker

Made the order from Poly Performance with the OD tube clamp. If you're interested in doing the 1st gen rollbar mod here's the link to the product I am using. For everyone's knowledge I got the idea from Dirtco over on toyota-4runners.org for the OD clamp. He did a shelf too but he's a better welder than I. I am using something else to get started with so I can't screw up the shelf too badly.
    http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...lamp-p-66.html

and the beginnings of a shelf

Pretend the ground is where it should be lol.

So right now the shelf is too wide to go in between the vertical supports but what I am hoping is that with the tube clamp I can adjust the width to fit it just right and then with a little bit of modification the shelf will sit in between nice and pretty.

Roof Rack.jpg

Another idea in the kitchen right now is a full length roof rack that would still allow for the use of the yakima rocketbox which I have (and love, amazing amount of space) but yet leave plenty of room for light bulky stuff for camping with the family like tents and such. I would like to do an awning at some point as well but.....I am not positive I need one right away. Lots of ideas float through my head at any given moment. If I'm lucky I grab a couple.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 11-08-2014 at 05:24 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

A lot has gone on since I last updated but very little progress as of late. Seems the military is getting rid of the auto hobby shops (although I have no idea why) so upgrading and adding tools has taken the lead over mods for a bit. This Black Friday should bring a new welder (Hobart 140 or 210 if I am lucky) but I have been adding grinders, cutting wheels, clamps, and trying to find a place that might take pity on a sucky welder like me to give me some scrap or at least sell it to me cheaply. The 1st gen roll bar is coming along nicely although I believe I will be in for more work than anticipated.

Here's the new garage!

The painted calipers now sitting in a box till I can find time, cash, and opportunity to do the brakes.

The rollbar shelf project is in full swing. I am pleased with the od clamp from poly performance although I am only marginally satisfied with my welding skills lol.

So the idea was to mount bolt the shelf in using some tube steel but my complication is that the rearmost bar is more narrow than the mount. The mount is clear and will bolt up but the sides of the rack will need to be notched to allow the support bars through the shelf. This would be all well and dandy if I wanted it to be permanent but I would like to be able to remove it fairly easily.

This is not the whole shelf either. I have another rack that I will be modifying to form the back half of the rack. Support will be generated by the seatbelt mounts totally. I would like to have the back of the shelf floating if I can pull it off.

The shelf and my roof rack are my "winter" projects while I am nursing wounds left from the purchase of a welder.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf