Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Donaldson Top Spin

Donaldson Top Spin

I was looking through Amsoil's site. I have read about these guys for years and heard all of the stories about 10k on the same oil. Kinda crazy but the filter is the key. Anyway when I was looking for an amsoil filter for my FIPK I found this little toy and they have one in a size that could be used by us.....as long as we had some sort of snorkel on top. Am I the first to have this inkling or am I going down a well trodden path.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...ode=H002434-EA

I am well aware of these filters. They have them on the MRAPs and they do wonders in a heavy dust environment. I imagine that they would help with our little yota engines too.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

http://soaztim.blogspot.com/2009/03/...e-snorkel.html

Id love to do it. the model he uses to fit off to the side like that and still open the hood, does not flow enough CFM for highway. He used a deckplate mod for road driving.

Ya know through my trials with the fipk led me to some custom fit parts from spectre performance. If you look carefully you can find aluminum pieces that would allow for a good seal and you could run that snorkel to the top of the cabin so the proper size could be used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I started looking at this again since I need to do some piping for my intake now anyways. The first time I looked into it I found a calculation that showed a max air requirement of 230 cfm with the v6. I dont know where I got that and I'm having a hard time finding it again, but the new questions are....

-the 100-200 cfm unit like soaz used looks like the best one for normal engine operations. Best I can figure with the online CFM calculators I found is that 2200rpm needs 106cfm and 3500 needs 168cfm. So you figure offroad driving is in that range and the small Topspin is effective.

-Problem is redline requires more then the unit is rated for. Does this rating mean it will not flow more air or the unit will not be filtering effectively? Soaz reported MPG loss and top end power loss. The literature shows airflow restriction increases pretty dramatically as well for the small unit. They make another slightly larger top spin that handles 150-250 CFM. That one wont be in its effective range very often although the restriction and MPG should be better.

So if I go with the larger unit will it be ineffective or are we looking at 90% effective? I cant say that I would want much of a MPG hit and I cant say that I go through more then 2 filters in a year lol. Makes this a tough call for me. Maybe I will break down and call Donaldson at some point

I think they are great for stagnant airflow situations. In reality, when traveling at a high speed, especially on a snorkel that is somewhat exposed to the air stream, you end up with odd high and low pressures on the cyclonic pre-filter, making it much less effective at both filtering and providing air.

For me, I am going to try one of those pre-filter socks that K&N and others use on their cone filters, and put it over my snorkel head to keep the majority of the dust out of my filter. As it is, I use a paper filter and blow it out often, and usually replace it once a year or when it starts to deteriorate.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

The topspin gets rid of the dust and dosnt collect it. Thats the only reason I think it might be worth while on a truck. You are totally right about high and low pressures. With the old style that collects dust in a pile, it would be almost certainly forced into the intake at some MPH lol. There is still the question of air pulses and such. The soaz guy had good luck so its always interested me
    old style...collects the dust in a pile...cant be good at high speeds

Sock and ram inlet is probably the way to go for all around solution for best MPG. Engine RPM and speed should not effect it.
    I see there are some new ones of those too.

I remember this one:

but I think this is new within the last few years.

You guys must deal with serious dust out there...
    I literally pull my air filter out at oil changes and knock it on bumper to knock the loose stuff out of it, and put it back, might blow it out if I have the air hose out already.
    Otherwise I change it about once a year.
    Last edited by 04 Rocko Taco; 05-27-2014 at 12:18 AM.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

It can be if we follow too close or in the mornings when the air is still you might be in mild dust for a couple hours. I started looking back at it since I no longer have a wheel well liner and the filter is eating dirt straight off the tire. My filters are getting dirty quickly.

I, too, lack wheel well liners. Stupidly cut them out years ago. That is a major reason for my snorkel, get the air intake out of the dirt and hopefully into some cleaner air. Only a few times have I really sucked in large amounts of dust with it, basically nothing you can do about that though.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco View Post
    You guys must deal with serious dust out there...
    I literally pull my air filter out at oil changes and knock it on bumper to knock the loose stuff out of it, and put it back, might blow it out if I have the air hose out already.
    Otherwise I change it about once a year.
    Google 29 palms. That is where I am about 90% of the time. I was cleaning my k&n every oil change and could feel the restriction right before I did the oil. Amsoil filter so far is doing well. Still working on perfecting the intake but I will be looking into a snorkel type intake with a prefilter of some sort.

stamped and snail mailed
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast